MakeMKV hack

Everything related to MakeMKV
ndjamena

Re: MakeMKV hack

Post by ndjamena »

I don't suppose you have an interlaced BD you could throw at it? I'd like to see how polished the program is.

I'd think Mike would be insulted it uses FFMPEG to encode the aac audio rather than MakeMKV itself.

I'm a bit confuse though, are you saying it uses DivX h265 or x265, or are they the same thing? I thought x265 wasn't any better than x264 at this stage.
Kerry56

Post by Kerry56 »

ndjamena wrote:I don't suppose you have an interlaced BD you could throw at it? I'd like to see how polished the program is.

I'd think Mike would be insulted it uses FFMPEG to encode the aac audio rather than MakeMKV itself.

I'm a bit confuse though, are you saying it uses DivX h265 or x265, or are they the same thing? I thought x265 wasn't any better than x264 at this stage.
The Divx H265 encoder is not the same as X265. Both produce H265 video.

I believe both those encoders are capable of producing very good quality now, and will only improve over the next few years. The DivX encoder was pretty rough around the edges when I tested it last year, but it was still making good video at low bitrates. At the time, I wouldn't choose it over X264, but development hasn't been sitting still.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Cool. My WDTV is kind of stuck at h264, but as soon as the encoders are ready and there's something worthwhile that can play it I have a job to do re-encoding everything I've done over the last 3 years or so in h265.

But that doesn't really answer the question, since the FFMPEG command line says X265, why does DivX10 need to be installed?
Rummelsnuf

Post by Rummelsnuf »

That is the question I also ask the author. Maybe this ffmpeg build use dxva for decding and there is a problem with the splitter? I have no answer, the author must give it.
For me, and I read also others, this software worked only after installing DivX10. I think this installation will clean up some things.

The bad thing is, x265/ffmpeg make a wrong fourCC on mp4 so you cannot play this files in VLC. I read some people can play this files in VLC but I was never successfull with it.
Thekid

Post by Thekid »

And still no reply from Mike the Admin.
Ant93

Post by Ant93 »

Thekid wrote:And still no reply from Mike the Admin.
Ha, tell me about it, I've been trying to get him to respond about the issue of forced subtitle flags in DVD's, with no luck...
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

You do realise you're empathising with a scam artist who's trying to cash in on the buzz surrounding the emergence of h265 without putting any real effort into it?

Sensible people are ignoring them.
Ant93

Post by Ant93 »

ndjamena wrote:You do realise you're empathising with a scam artist who's trying to cash in on the buzz surrounding the emergence of h265 without putting any real effort into it?
I know, I'm just trying to further prove my point that Mike is very unresponsive on this forum!

I also suspect he doesn't understand English very well as I have reason to believe he's Russian!
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Goodyes wrote:Hello Mike,
Im the main developer of the application.
I asked your support team some weeks ago, for use your app in my distributed software, you told me that yes.
If you complaint about please get in contact with me for discuss this issue using email.
Anyone is free to redistribute the software in its original unmodified form.
Anyone can use libmmbd API for decryption, providing MakeMKV is installed.

However.

What you are using, you are silently installing MakeMKV into temp folder. Yo do not inform the user about MakeMKV installation, and you bypass the MakeMKV EULA.. More important, opening the blu-ray disc by MakeMKV requires either a valid key or a trial mode. You are silently starting MakeMKV trial period without telling the user. Not only your program will stop working after 30 days, the user won't be able to even try MakeMKV on same computer anymore. How can you possibly describe your actions not being a hack?

If it is not clear, MakeMKV license does not allow one to create and distribute derived work (by hacking the install file and bypassing EULA).

All you have accomplished is that now we have to spend time coding protection from such abuse, instead of spending the time coding new features for MakeMKV.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Oh joy. That sucks. :( I like it when you improve the product not having to deal with nut jobs stealing your work. SIGH.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Seems to happen all the time. Back then dvdshrink recoded his tool so people couldn't hide the fact they were using it in their software.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Rummelsnuf wrote:The bad thing is, x265/ffmpeg make a wrong fourCC on mp4 so you cannot play this files in VLC.
No, it's not wrong. There are two valid codes for HEVC in MP4 (hvc1 and hev1), and VLC only supported hvc1. VLC 2.2.x will support hev1 as well.

The reason why libavformat (and thus ffmpeg) uses hev1 is because hvc1 has additional restrictions vis-à-vis the presence of parameter sets in the bitstream (or lack thereof), and compliance with these restrictions cannot be guaranteed (in e.g. a remux scenario).

Edit more detail can be found here: http://git.libav.org/?p=libav.git;a=commit;h=1d9014f