Need help with Guns of Navarone Blu Ray rip using Makemkv

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
wunderlong88

Need help with Guns of Navarone Blu Ray rip using Makemkv

Post by wunderlong88 »

I have ripped Guns of Navarone - Blu Ray - using Makemkv so that I can add it to my Plex library.

I haven't done very many blu ray rips and I'm a bit confused on this one.

Makemkv comes up with 4 titles that appear to be the movie. Two of them are 30 gb and 2 of them are 34 gb. I ripped all four and I can't tell any difference in them just quickly perusing them on my pc. I put the disc in my blu ray player and the menu doesn't have but one option for the movie that I can find. I'm confused as to why there are 4 copies of this movie (along with about 16 titles that are special features) on this blu ray disc and which one I should use with my Plex. I think there must be something different about them but I'm at a loss as to what or how to find out what.

Any help with this?

TIA!

Linda
backlash

Re: Need help with Guns of Navarone Blu Ray rip using Makemkv

Post by backlash »

My copy which came bundled with Bridge On The River Kwai has the same 4 titles.

Comparing them in MakeMKV, two have sequence map of 0,1,2 and two have 0,15,2. So they're identical pairs. There's another title that has only sequence 15 in it, so I ripped the first 0,1,2 title (t.03) and that sequence 15 solo title (t.36/00015.m2ts) to see if I could find what's different.

I did not try t.07 or t.08 as they seem to be identical to t.03 and t.04, respectively.

The difference is the intermission.

Sequence 15 is the very end of the first half, a 3-minuteish intermission, and the very beginning of the second half. In the shorter version there is a crossfade between the two moments, and the "The fourth day 21.00 hours" text is in a different font than the intermission version. In the longer version, the intermission is presented instead of the quick crossfade.

Without Intermission: t.03 (00001.mpls)
With Intermission: t.04 (00002.mpls)

Cheers!
wunderlong88

Re: Need help with Guns of Navarone Blu Ray rip using Makemkv

Post by wunderlong88 »

Thank you. Very helpful as I never figured it out.