Trying to copy a legel downloaded movie.

Everything related to MakeMKV
fish.stacy

Trying to copy a legel downloaded movie.

Post by fish.stacy »

Seems the makemkv interface is expecting a disk to be in the drive - I have purchased Xmen Days of Future Past legally through FoxRedeem via my itunes account. It is on my desktop as an .m4v file and I would like to convert this into a .mov with no compression.

I've never done this before so please be as detailed as you can in the steps I need to take.

thanks so much for your assistance.

cheers Stacy
ndjamena

Re: Trying to copy a legel downloaded movie.

Post by ndjamena »

MakeMKV will only open BD, DVD and HD-DVD discs (or disc images) and MKV files and will only output MKV files (or a BD backup).
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Like ndjamena said, MakeMKV isn't the right tool for the job.

Why do you need an uncompressed file? It may be that you're looking at the problem the wrong way. Most tools that used to require uncompressed video/audio can work with compression, so long as it is the "right" compression. What is your target use?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
PaulCB

Post by PaulCB »

As other said, not the right app.. Look to something like Handbrake for general video conversation though I do not know if they do to .mov (though not sure what the point of that would be). Note you cannot convert video without reducing quality. Also, if you do have a locally saved purchased movie file from iTunes, it is DRM'd and can't be transcoded.