Windows 10 Media Player MKV Playback

Everything related to MakeMKV
cbits

Windows 10 Media Player MKV Playback

Post by cbits »

Hi

I am currently trialling the Windows Tech Preview of Windows 10, one of the things that caught my interest was that within this Media Player now supports playback of MKV files.

Having tried this on a couple of machines it seems it works, BUT not for my MKV files created with makemkv...

Information so far is on the MS Forum:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... bc5&page=2

I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas to help me resolve this.
tommyla

Re: Windows 10 Media Player MKV Playback

Post by tommyla »

thats because windows 10 is missing TrueHD/DTS-HD/AC3 and FLAC (confirmed in newer build)
mkvs that has h264+AAC works fine for me in 9879
cbits

Post by cbits »

Hi tommyla
mkvs that has h264+AAC works fine for me in 9879
:mrgreen: OK
Then how do I get Makemkv to convert to correct type file?
and can I convert the several hundred MKV's I already have to work

My music has a lot of FLAC files and these do work natively in win 10, (Previously had to get additional codecs from some VERY DODGY places - Shark codecs etc)

Thanks
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

The filetype IS correct. Only you're using a crappy player/system to play the files.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
cbits

Post by cbits »

The filetype IS correct. Only you're using a crappy player/system to play the files.
I'm not really concerned with debating the pros and cons of player/systems, I've tried some and generally use Media Browser (Old version) for organising / displaying and Media Center /Media Player as my player, with VLC for problems

BUT I am trialling Windows Ten, and if we can get a new MS Player that will will play MKV's + Flac that would be great, make life on most people computers lots easier.

So MS say their new Player will play MKV, and some of our guys MKVs do work, just not mine via MAKEMKV... that's the issue I'm trying to resolve (Without the Dodgy Codecs needed currently!)
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Right. And since MakeMKV's files are spec compliant, where do you think something needs to be done?
cbits

Post by cbits »

Hi Chetwood
I suspect I need to set MakeMkv to create the streams inside the file in a different way:
This one works in Win10: (From my Colleague)
- Contains H264 video (avc1) and AAC (mp4a) audio
This one does not work in Win10 - Created by MakeMKV:
- Contains MPEG 1/2 (mpgv) video and A52/AC3 (a52) audio

So it seems that putting MPeg4 streams in the file will work, so I guess my question is "Can I create these file using MakeMkv; and can I convert my existing MKV's?"
Thanks
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Of course you can't since it's called MakeMKV and not MP4. And the above actually was a rhetorical question. Since Win 10 is clearly at fault here, why not simply use VLC to play back MKVs?
Tolken

Post by Tolken »

cbits.

You seem to be misunderstanding the basics of what's wrong.

Windows10 does not have serveral codecs licensed for Win10 by default. (Several are fixed in a recent windows update)

Handbrake during rips converts to the codecs you specify. (Handbrake's goal is to re-encode, usually for smaller file sizes, not create exact copies).

MakeMKV does not convert codecs except in a few circumstances and then you have to specifically set it. This is absolutely by design and will not change ever. MakeMKV's goal is to use the original audio / video and move it into a MKV container creating an exact copy. This is why it is so fast and the files so large.

Handbrake likely worked in your test because it converted to a codec that works under Win10.
MKV did not work because it left the original codec intact.