Price

Everything related to MakeMKV
fable

Price

Post by fable »

First off let me say that I really like this software. It is easy to use, no bugs that I've encountered and does exactly what I want it to do.

However the price of 62.5€ is out of the question for something that I use once in a while.

A price like this only encourages piracy unless it is an application used daily and considered important to everyday usage of home systems.

You probably have a lot of statistics about downloads vs purchases. I would absolutely purchase this application for 10-15€. Which means you need to sell 4-5 times as many. In danger of, as the saying goes, make an ass of myself by assuming I would say this is far more feasible then selling this application for 62.5€. I think it is likely you might increase more than 4-5 times of current sales if you had a better price.

Take into consideration the age of people who use this application. If they are 30+ then you would get more sales on 62.5€ than if they are 15+. I believe it is the younger generations you should be catering to instead of trying to fish for the established adults.

I'm a developer as well and I think this is such a good product that I would happily recommend it and I think you deserve to make oodles of money on this. But when it comes to selling software on the web - what you deserve and what you can get are rarely the same. Just look at photoshop, probably the most pirated non-OS software out there, and it is the best graphic software.

Again - well done creating this software!

PS. Feature request: Auto-filling in storage path and filename based of parent folder would be spectacular. :)
Woodstock

Re: Price

Post by Woodstock »

Price discussion comes up every month or so. Mike set the price in US dollars, and the payment handling company adjusts that to cover currency conversions and other things necessary to deal with different markets.

Cost/value equation is different for different people. Use it a lot? Worth the money. Use it a little? Maybe not. Once a year? No, not really.

As for piracy... "Free while in beta" pretty much negates that for now. If you do not think it is worth the price, you are not obligated to pay right now, but you do have to endure the "hardship" of entering a new key periodically, which Mike provides.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
fable

Post by fable »

Well first off I was not aware that it was free in beta. I haven't seen that anywhere. I've just seen the trial timer in the log.

Why don't you just use Paypal instead? It would be far more profitable? Is there some legal reason you use a 3rd party to handle sales?

Apologies for bringing up this subject again. Should have searched the forums first.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Actually, I think it's good to discuss it periodically, even though we know things aren't going to change... :) Not to mention the fact that it would be a bit difficult to search for "why so much?" messages to tack onto.

As for "why not PayPal?", you'd really have to wait for Mike to answer that. I know that a LOT of small vendors don't trust PP, because they have a history of suddenly blocking you, as a vendor, from getting your money, while continuing to happily taking it from your customers.

"Free while in beta" is the subject of the message in the Announcements section that has the latest key in it. Date on it never changes, but the key inside does. If you elect not to buy a non-expiring key, you might want to bookmark the message.

Frankly, I don't know if the "beta test" will ever end; but Mike could change his mind someday.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
fable

Post by fable »

I see.

I don't know how much your third-party is charging to sell it for you, but if it's a big cut you might want to consider this: It's better to maybe get robbed by Paypal than definitely getting robbed by someone else :P

If the price gets lowered to 10-15€ know that I'll be paying for this awesome software. :)
boltronics

Post by boltronics »

fairy dust?