How to tell which title to use

Everything related to MakeMKV
andcbii

How to tell which title to use

Post by andcbii »

I've recently decided to try and convert my ISO files to MKV. I'm not sure how to tell which title to use. I've read that people use AnyDVD to select the title but i don't see the playlist noted in AnyDVD

Here are the MakeMKV screens

Between the 4 tiltes that are over 1 GB how do i know which one to rip/keep?

Speedmenu for AnyDVD lists 3 features, play lists 2,5,6 (2 and 6 have the same length)
Smithcraft

Re: How to tell which title to use

Post by Smithcraft »

What a former user used to suggest was the copy the disc and then play the files and see what works.

In this case, each of the 28GB files has Segment #11. Then you have two that are 536 and then 11, and one that is 537 and then 11.

Maybe rip the first one and see if it starts with the beginning of the movie. If it doesn't, then try one of the two that are 536 then 11. if that's still wrong, then it has to be 537 and 11.

Or back up the disc, and play the three different files and see what's what and have MakeMKV rip that.

SC
matt198t

Post by matt198t »

I would guess that the difference between the movies will be when the name of the movie appears on the screen it will be in a different language for each title.

Just a guess
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

matt198t wrote:I would guess that the difference between the movies will be when the name of the movie appears on the screen it will be in a different language for each title.
In the case of many Disney titles, that is true - there will be a version with English, Spanish, and French titles, and the rest of the movie is the same between them.

But some other studios go out of their way to make it difficult. And, if you've never seen a particular title in the theater, sometimes the scene transitions on the incorrect titles are hard to detect.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Mark0x01

Post by Mark0x01 »

I normally only want the main movie, so I pick the biggest title file.

Seems to work well.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

"largest title" doesn't work on the worst offenders... Some of the titles are significantly larger than the real feature, some smaller, and it gets REALLY confusing if there are both "theatrical" and "director's cut" versions on the same disk.
tatts4Life

Post by tatts4Life »

I was coming here with the same issue. I have several movies that have either the same file size and different chapter numbers. Or different file sizes but same chapter numbers. So basically I should just rip the files and see which looks best?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It depends upon the movie. Some are thoroughly researched - check out the "Ender's Game" threads, where the title number is called out by disk version for about a half-dozen variations. Others, like "3 Days to Kill", have nothing to speak of on the net.
latweek

Post by latweek »

I've had this issue going back months, and I went ahead and just ripped all the titles off the blu ray media. I have a question - let's say that if a single movie resulted in 2 or more mkv files, if one file has "commentary" and the other file has one or more language options I need, can I re-mux to get everything into one file?

If so, could you steer me to the software and steps to collapse the various audio/subtitles from multiple mkvs of the same movie and the same size back into a single file?

Thank you!
tatts4Life

Post by tatts4Life »

So far I've run into 8 movies that have either multiple files with the same size files or very different chapter amounts. Unless there is some list some place on what file to use I'll have to put each movie into my player and write down the length and chapters.

Is there a thread or site I can find out about certain movies?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

For re-muxing multiple files into one, search for "mkvtoolnix".

For "which title?", the generic advice would be a search on Google, Yahoo, Bing, or wherever for "rip which title" plus the movie name. For example, searching for "rip which title ender's game" finds the topic here and elsewhere. But for some disks, it comes up with torrent sites to download the file from, rather than which one to rip on your own disk...
latweek

Post by latweek »

Thank you Woodstock, I will go forth...... :wink:
tatts4Life

Post by tatts4Life »

After a little bit of work I think I've figured out what titles to rip. What I did was load the movie into my PS3 and then noted the chapter numbers, movie length, and title number. Of course when I looked on make mkv the title part was completely useless because it doesn't show title numbers on the left side. Each file is just labeled as title.

Also one thing that sucks when it came to Pinocchio is the bluray gives you the option to add art on the side so you don't see black bars. I really liked that but it seems to be a separate file instead of included in the movie file.
Draves

Post by Draves »

Something I have found to work is to run anydvd first, when it has finished scanning the disk run dvdfab decrypter on top of it. It has been selecting the correct playlist for me. After it has ripped you can run Makemkv to make the mkv file.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Why AnyDVD? DVDFab is a ripper itself so you can just open the BD with it and see what title it selected which is often quite accurate. Now select this title in MakeMKV and you're done.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch