does the TV series Lost have forced subtitles

Everything related to MakeMKV
tatts4Life

does the TV series Lost have forced subtitles

Post by tatts4Life »

So I'm getting ready to rip the whole bluray series to my computer. But I'm having trouble looking on Google for information on forced subtitles with the show. I know there are episodes where Jin and Sun the Koreans are speaking and they had subtitles for them. Does anybody either know where I can find a list of those episodes that have forced subtitles or can tell me what option to check off when ripping. Right now I'm using just the first option because I tried checking all options with I believe a Star Wars movie and I would also get commentary subtitles that popped up.
Woodstock

Re: does the TV series Lost have forced subtitles

Post by Woodstock »

Tell MakeMKV to rip all subtitle tracks in English, including having the "Forced Only" box checked. If there are subtitles marked as forced, you will end up with two tracks; otherwise, MakeMKV will note in the log something like "Forced subtitle track #01 was empty so it was removed".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
tatts4Life

Post by tatts4Life »

If I do that and there is forced subtitles but I don't want the normal subtitles if I turn off subtitles in xbmc will it turn off the forced subtitles or leave those alone?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I cannot say what will happen with XMBC, because I've never used it. Isn't it called something else now?

BUT, most applications seem to play the FIRST subtitle track, regardless of any flags set. So using something like MKVtoolnix to arrange things to put the "forced" subtitles first accomplishes your goal, wither or not you remove any other tracks.

I've heard different things about whether or not MKV format supports tracks with some subtitles flagged as "forced" and others not. Safest bet is to have them all by themselves, which is what MakeMKV's "Forced only" check box sets up to do.
tatts4Life

Post by tatts4Life »

Sorry yeah xbmc is now called Kodi now. I've never heard of mkvtoolnix.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MKVtoolnix will show up if you enter that word in google or yahoo. It is a set of tools that you can use to manipulate MKV files, take them apart and glue them back together, etc.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

With subtitles default set to off, Kodi will still show forced subs that are properly flagged. That's how it should be done.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
tatts4Life

Post by tatts4Life »

Eh I guess it doesn't hurt to just start adding the subtitles. Hell how much space can they take up a gigabyte or two at most? Though it would be nice if I could find a site that tells me which episodes had subtitles.
matt198t

Post by matt198t »

There is now way around it. Rip once with all subs, identify correct stream (tricky and time-consuming if you don't know at what point the forced subs are meant to appear), then rip again removing any unwanted subs whilst applying the correct flag to the forced sub stream.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

What's tricky about playing a track from the beginning and not seeing a subtitle while someone's talking? Obviously that is the forced sub and there's no need to find the exact spot with the first item.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
matt198t

Post by matt198t »

Chetwood wrote:What's tricky about playing a track from the beginning and not seeing a subtitle while someone's talking? Obviously that is the forced sub and there's no need to find the exact spot with the first item.
You're right there isn't but I actually like to watch my content rather than concentrating on the bottom of the screen on where the subs should show up, but each to their own!
tatts4Life

Post by tatts4Life »

I just did the dumbest thing ever. Season 3 and 4 go from being DTS-hd master audio to something called LPCM. Well I finish ripping season 3 and 4 and go to check one episode because I thought I might of done the wrong one. Well I had no audio. I guess what ever LPCM is my computer didn't recognize it so I had no audio. Going back to rip the DD audio now.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It's more fun when they change mastering techniques mid-season. :)

Linear pulse-code modulation (LPCM) is normally passed straight through to the MKV file. VLC should be able to play it.

I'm not sure if MakeMKV has the ability to change LPCM into FLAC... Haven't needed it myself. I let Handbrake take care of any audio format changes.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Woodstock wrote:I'm not sure if MakeMKV has the ability to change LPCM into FLAC... Haven't needed it myself.
It should. IIRC LPCM is also one of the inputs that gets converted to FLAC using the MakeMKV-provided "FLAC" conversion profile, so this should be fairly straightforward…
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

In which case, tatts4life needs to go to Preferences -> General, enable Expert mode, then the FLAC profile can be invoked when necessary.