DVD to MKV - Playback Issues

Everything related to MakeMKV
jfred305

DVD to MKV - Playback Issues

Post by jfred305 »

I have converted many of my DVD titles and have noticed some issues while playing the MKV files. On many of the files the movie seems to jump, almost as if it were skipping a few frames. This usually happens at moments in the film where there is fast movement, either an object moving quickly or the camera moving quickly.

I’ve checked to make sure that it is not the original DVD that is the problem by playing the same seen of the movie on the original DVD. From what I understand MKV files are only containers and do not modify the original file in any way, so what’s the dealio?

Has anyone else experienced this? Any Suggestions?

Thanks[quote][/quote]
Taddeusz

Re: DVD to MKV - Playback Issues

Post by Taddeusz »

I've noticed this on a few movies. If I use my old manual method of ripping the same DVD the video comes out fine. Not sure what the deal is.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

You might try setting/reducing the minimum file time to 2 seconds, rather than the default of 120 seconds...
jfred305

Post by jfred305 »

Taddeusz

What is the manual method, can you please elaborate?

setarip_old

I thought that the min time setting was to determine what titles to skip, so that only the main movie would be listed. I didn't know that the setting had anything to do with how the movie is transcoded.

-

I have just updated from 1.4.9 to 1.4.11, may be this will fix the problem. I'll update this thread once I've ripped a few more DVDs with the newer release.

Thanks
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@jfred305

Hi!

There are any number of commands that can be executed in the .IFOs of DVDs. Theoretically, this could include the equivalent of "if/then/else" commands that look for the existence and/or contents of specific files. If not properly ripped, thye absence of such a file could conceivably cause playback delays - or worse...
Taddeusz

Post by Taddeusz »

It's quite a bit more involved. I use DVD Decrypter in IFO mode to extract the video and audio tracks I want to a single file. And then extract the chapters. Then use VideoRedo's quickstream fix to convert the VOB into a standard MPEG program stream. Then I drag that into mkvmerge along with the chapter list.

Like I said, it's quite a bit more involved than just using MakeMKV. But it works better sometimes.
suss2it

Post by suss2it »

When I playback the mkv files, there's always lines that show up when there's movement. Is there a solution for this?
MrQwtLtn

Post by MrQwtLtn »

suss2it wrote:When I playback the mkv files, there's always lines that show up when there's movement. Is there a solution for this?

strange i have seen this behaviour too.
jfred305

“MakeMKV is like a box of chocolates, you never know what yo

Post by jfred305 »

I have updated to MakeMKV 1.4.12 and am still experiencing the problem. I have determined that it usually occurs when the film changes cameras from one scene to the next. The issue is sort of a short pause during the transition. This doesn’t happen in every movie, but if it does happen in a movie it usually happens in more than one scene.

I have tried using two different discs of the same movie and I have tried using two different computers to rip the same movie. The problem still occurs at the exact same frame in the movie. This must be either a problem with the MKV format or a problem with the MakeMKV software.

An example of this is in the film “Forest Gump”, at 0.2.54, 0.6.14 and 1.48.44. If I can post larger files on the forum I will extract the problematic scenes in DVD Shrink and then convert them using MakeMKV and post them here so that everyone can see exactly what I'm talking about.

Thanks