Setup_makemkv 1.9.2 virus???

Everything related to MakeMKV
jeeptj5

Setup_makemkv 1.9.2 virus???

Post by jeeptj5 »

I just attempted to upgrade to ver 1.9.2 and my Norton Security Suite says:

Category: Resolved Security Risks
Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Path - Filename
4/17/2015 2:38:03 PM,Medium,setup_makemkv_v1.9.2.exe (WS.Reputation.1) detected by Download Insight,Quarantined,Resolved - No Action Required,c:\users\downloads\setup_makemkv_v1.9.2.exe

I have been using program (earlier versions) for several years with no issue. Does anybody know anything about this??? Can't upgrade.

Thanks,

Don
Woodstock

Re: Setup_makemkv 1.9.2 virus???

Post by Woodstock »

Assuming you pulled the file from makemkv.com directly, my guess would be a false positive. It isn't the first time Norton has called MakeMKV a "risky" file. If you do a google search for "WS.Reputation.1" (use the quotes), the first hit should be a "Clarification" by Symantec about the "reputation" determination means (and doesn't mean):
WS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score based on analyzing data from Symantec’s community of users and therefore are likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on Symantec’s reputation-based security technology. Because this detection is based on a reputation score, it does not represent a specific class of threat like adware or spyware, but instead applies to all threat categories.

The reputation-based system uses "the wisdom of crowds" (Symantec’s tens of millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and behavior-based detection techniques.
For what it is worth, AVG does not trigger on the EXE file from makemkv.com.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
RichardC

Post by RichardC »

A scan with Bitdefender reports, "No infected items have been detected".
makememe

Post by makememe »

never issues with the makemkv setup file, and I use kaspersky set to deep scan. I have used kaspersky long before I discovered makemkv, so when I say never I mean numerous iterations have been scanned.