MakeMKV sometimes makes two main movies identical in size

Everything related to MakeMKV
Actionlover

MakeMKV sometimes makes two main movies identical in size

Post by Actionlover »

Hi,

I'm new to make makemkv but I'm really enjoying this software. It has never failed ripping a Bluray for me but I have encountered a slight problem on a couple of films. Using makemkv for both The terminator and Blade resulted in me having two main movie files that are identical in size and length for each movie. I'm not sure which one is the correct file and which one isn't. Is there a way to tell as they are quite large and I don't want to keep two files of the same movie?
Terminator 2 resulted in 3 main movie files but they were different lengths which made it easy to realise they were different cuts but I'm baffled by having two files the same size and length for the other movies

Thanks
Ripman

Re: MakeMKV sometimes makes two main movies identical in siz

Post by Ripman »

It's usually a good start to check the forum first (e.g., google "makemkv movie").

You can also check the title # in vlc or your physical player.

This thread from yesterday has additional guidance.
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9091

And this one from today has relevant discussion as well.
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9071
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There are also times where a movie will have different "angles", which have different audio tracks and may have titles in different languages.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Actionlover

Post by Actionlover »

Thanks for the info guys. I'm starting to get the hang of it. Popped in terminator 3 for a rip and again 3 movies the same came up but I noticed one had 64 chapters, one 18 and one didn't have any chapters. Two of them had 3 different English audio tracks and the third had two different audio tracks. I'm just going to rip all 3 and then compare to what's on my player and choose one of them to keep
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

If there's a title with no chapters, have a look at the source file name under "title information". If it ends with ".m2ts" that would indicate the presence of a JAVA title, which usually means a special commentary edition, possibly with special scripted graphics or two audio tracks that get mixed together.

JAVA titles actually do have chapters, they're just stored in a way that MakeMKV can't decipher. Of course, if the movie is constructed from multiple source files MakeMKV can't read that properly either, so it just dumps each of the source files in the list as their own title, if that happens the only way to know if there's a JAVA title present is to either search the discs menu with a Blu Ray player, rip all the little m2ts files to see if any contain parts of the movie or check to see if there are any DTS Express tracks in any of the m2ts files. The only way to rip those disjointed titles properly is to do a backup and rip the main mpls file using another program (eac3to or MMG) including the tracks that MakeMKV ignores (that are deliberately disabled for the main title). Of course I've yet to reconstruct one of those "special commentary edition" JAVA titles properly, so it's probably a waste of time trying.
Actionlover

Post by Actionlover »

ndjamena, you're right, it does have a special title. The terminator 3 bluray disc has the option of watching the movie with a picture in picture of the making of the movie. I guess that's the one makemkv can't pick up.
Actionlover

Post by Actionlover »

Ok, so I got a handle on everything and with the assistance of a bluray player I can now find the right version. but I have now encountered a major problem with The Last Stand. 93 files of approximately 31GB show up. It would take weeks to rip all of them and find the right one.
One is listed as the main title so I will do that one. But if it isn't what do I do?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you have software on your computer that can play BDs (such as PowerDVD), you can search for "bluray playlist obfuscation youtube" on your favorite search engine and find instructions on how to discover which title is correct for the particular disk you have. Many of the disks that have this form of "copy inconvenience" change between retail sources, i.e., a disk purchased from Amazon has a different playlist than one from Target or Walmart.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging