Very Quiet Audio

Everything related to MakeMKV
owenrg

Very Quiet Audio

Post by owenrg »

I'm a new user of MakeMKV and so far i love it. i've only ripped two BD discs but it seems to be very fast and works fine. the only thing i see is that the audio is very quiet. probably about 50% of what it should be. i've tried ripping the save BD with different audio selected but it doesn't seem to make a difference. are there any suggestions to what i'm doing wrong or is this just how it is?

a side note: if anyone has any suggestions as how to compress the rips to a smaller size that'd be great. i have yet to give BD rebuilder a shot but it seems that people like that a lot.

Thanks in advance for the help!
setarip_old

Re: Very Quiet Audio

Post by setarip_old »

MakeMKV does nothing to alter the audio...
probably about 50% of what it should be.
How did you determine this?

Are you possibly playing a file that contains DTS audio on a system that doesn't have DTS output capability?
owenrg

Post by owenrg »

i just have to turn my speakers up a lot in order to hear the movie at a normal volume. I'm not at home right now i can't tell you the exact audio i'm choosing when i rip the BD... i'll give ya some more info when i get home in a couple of hours.
ELVISPOPCORN

Post by ELVISPOPCORN »

owenrg wrote:i just have to turn my speakers up a lot in order to hear the movie at a normal volume. I'm not at home right now i can't tell you the exact audio i'm choosing when i rip the BD... i'll give ya some more info when i get home in a couple of hours.
Maybe he has the wrong codec(s) installed??? :roll:
owenrg

Post by owenrg »

i have a whole bunch, the full FF one and a others so i don't think it's the codec. everything plays back fine too, i just need to boost the audio. i'll be playing the videos though boxee and you can boost the audio through boxee so i'll use that as my temp solution. it would be nice to not have them be so quiet though.
ferrari

Post by ferrari »

owenrg wrote:I'm a new user of MakeMKV and so far i love it. i've only ripped two BD discs but it seems to be very fast and works fine. the only thing i see is that the audio is very quiet. probably about 50% of what it should be. i've tried ripping the save BD with different audio selected but it doesn't seem to make a difference. are there any suggestions to what i'm doing wrong or is this just how it is?

a side note: if anyone has any suggestions as how to compress the rips to a smaller size that'd be great. i have yet to give BD rebuilder a shot but it seems that people like that a lot.

Thanks in advance for the help!
i haveing same problem as you sir
buggerlugs

Post by buggerlugs »

I have this issue too and reported it months ago.
I just tried using the prog again today and stillt he same problem.

I have a fresh install of win 7, with xp codec pack. I just made 5 mkv's with the prog and you can hardly hear anything in WMP, even with my speakers on full volume.
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

I've run across this allot also, using mkv,DVD shrink,DVD decrypter. With both VLC and and mediaplayer classic, but not with XBMC. Which is weird all in of it self. now in Mediaplayer classic I just Enable "Regain Volume" and every things good. And in VLC I need to boost the volume by up to about 150%.

Also a few things I've noticesd:
1. I haven't had this issue with DTS tracks
2. all files run though eac3to, no longer "seem" to have this issue.
dtblair

Post by dtblair »

I was having this problem and it was associated with the audio codes. In my case I was decoding multichannel audio (DTS/DD) to two channel stereo. Check you ffdshow audio codecs or simply delete and reinstall. I have the most luck with K-Lite
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

You might want to try using eac3to instead of ffmepg to covert your audio.

Exmaple:

Code: Select all

eac3to -input.dts -output.ac3 -resampleTo48000 -down16 -640 
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

Almost for got to post this info: Simple Volume increasing

You have to start a movie, then right-click -> Options -> Filters -> Advanced -> FFDSHow audio chance option normalize
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Download and install (then set it and forget it) the very well known and much relied upon "AC3 Filter":
=========
AC3Filter
=========

AC3Filter is high quality freeware DirectShow audio decoder and processor
filter used to decode audio tracks in movies (DVD, MPEG4 and others).
Focused on poweful and flexible audio control.

Main features:
* Decode AC3/DTS/MPEG Audio Layer I/II formats
* MPEG1/2 PES demultiplex (for DVD support)
* PES/LPCM format support
* AVI/AC3, AVI/DTS, WAV/AC3 and WAV/DTS support
* AC3/DTS/MPEG Audio SPDIF passthrough support
* AC3 encode to output any multichannel source to SPDIF
* Detailed input bitstream format information
* Automatic Gain Control
* Dynamic Range Compression
* Online output configuraion change
* Upmix from any stereo source to 3-6 channels
* Downmix to DolbySurround/ProLogic/ProLogic2
* Input/output levels indication
* Per-channel gain for all input/output channels
* Per-channel delays
* Direct access to mixing matrix
* 32bit and 64bit OS support

Copyright (c) 2002-2009 by Alexander Vigovsky (ac3filter@gmail.com)
Azlan

Post by Azlan »

Sorry to revive a dead post, but i couldnt find any other topics or google searches with related info.

Im also having a very similar issue with the volume levels of DTS-HD tracks im ripping off bluray discs, be it both on the computer or when the file is being streamed directly to my home theatre system (Yes its more than capable of all todays latest codecs, (Samsung Series 6 3d Home Theatre HT-D6750W paired with with Samsung Series 8 Plasma PS51D8000)). and i use the CCCP for playback on pc.

As im using makemkv to just do a complete dump of the contents of the bluray disc with no compression, im at a loss for why the volume levels are so low (as the original poster has said, about half) when compared to playing them directly off the bluray disc. Its bad because when wathing on home theatre, i cant even increase the volume to a point where the sound level gives a good impact when watching because it maxes out at 50, wheras watching most bluray discs there is little reason to go much past 30 for an intense experience.

so ideally im looking for a reason as to why this would happen when this is supposed to be a straight up dump of the audio file straight off the disc, and if there is a solution? if it were just my computer i'd figure yes it could be codecs but even that doesnt sound logical to me when its an uncompressed master track!
Wardrop

Post by Wardrop »

I just ran into this issue after switching to FFDShow's Audio Decoder, because of issues I was having with LAV. What I ended up doing was open up the FFDShow Audio Configuration (double-click the "ffdshow audio" tray icon when playing a movie), and then deselected the "Mixer" checkbox on the left. Then I went into "Volume" (which was checked) and set the master volume to 200%. You don't want to push the master volume too far or else it will begin to distort the sound (up to 300% is fine, but if you switch to the decibels slider and bump it up to 20db+, you'll start to run into problems).

I hope I've helped somebody.