Problem with Chapters and meta language

Everything related to MakeMKV
Dazkine

Problem with Chapters and meta language

Post by Dazkine »

Open a MKV File with Chapters + Names ("Test1, Test2, ...")
Now set meta language for each Chapter from eng to ger (or ger to eng). MakeMKV also replaces the String "Test1" with "Chapter 01" automatically (no idea if that should happen or not)

Then start and when MMKV has finished open the MKV File with Mediainfo. There you can see that MakeMKV has not change meta language tags for the Chapterentries but just added a second name for each chapterentry. Looks like:

00:00:00.000 : en:Test1 de:Chapter 01
00:09:07.129 : en:Test2 de:Chapter 02

So it is impossible to change the language tag for the chaptername(s). If you try to do that it will result in having 2 Names for each chapter instead of one.
ndjamena

Re: Problem with Chapters and meta language

Post by ndjamena »

Did you try deleting the eng names before switching to ger?
Dazkine

Post by Dazkine »

yes. At first i deleted the string with the chaptername ("00:00:00.000" , ...). Then i changed metalanguage, and then i added a new chaptername ("Kapitel 1", ...).

This is the result:

00:00:00.000 : de:Kapitel 1 - en:00:00:00.000
00:09:07.129 : de:Kapitel 2 - en:00:09:07.129

There are still the old names present.

So its impossible to change the metalanguage tag. It will always result in adding a new entry and not delete/overwrite the old one.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

hmmm,

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 753#p37581

Some how at some point I managed to remove chapter names from the file completely. I can't manage to recreate the issue, even with 1.9.1...

Unless it has something to do with the source container... what are you ripping from?
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Changing languages works if taken directly from a DVD, so I'm assuming you're remuxing an MKV. All I can think it that when you blank out a chapter, MakeMKV removes it from it's own list of elements to add to the file, but that doesn't stop it from copying the original element from the file as it remuxes it.

Unless Mike want to correct me, I'm pretty sure the chapter names that are being left in your file are being blindly copied from the original MKV and have nothing to do with any errant settings in the UI.
Dazkine

Post by Dazkine »

yes, if your source is Bluray or DVD, no problem. But if your source is a MKV File (also created with MakeMKV, but doesnt really matter) then it ends up in having 2 chapternames.

You can also change chapternames without any problem. But as soon as you touch "meta language" then MMKV will always add a second chaptername
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Yes, it is non-intuitive. You can edit names for multiple langiages. If you select "eng" you are editing the name in English. Select "ger" and now you are editing German name. Set meta language to "eng" again, and English name will return.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

And yet it won't let you blank out (ie remove) a chapter name that's already in the file...
Dazkine

Post by Dazkine »

mh any plans to change that? There is no support for multiple chapternames in any programm. Some will just display the first or the last one, and some will just display all names in one line like: Chapter 01 Kapitel 01.