Windows 10 TP with makemkv problems

Everything related to MakeMKV
Woodstock

Re: Windows 10 TP with makemkv problems

Post by Woodstock »

I can't speak for Mike, but...

Where I work, we do not support Windows 10 because it isn't a released operating system. Until it is, it's a moving target for any non-trivial program. As evidenced by the questions here, just because it worked on Tuesday doesn't mean you're safe on Wednesday!
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
character82

Post by character82 »

(UPDATE BELOW)

I'm running 10162 and it seems to be working, when I run the app as Admin

I do see a lot of weird stuff like

DEBUG: Code 233 at 8TtYCYtYUIov3sjB+F3sBHpj:0
DEBUG: Code 2 at rXPXM%i7I9JMe:121261704
DEBUG: Code 0 at YL0?cZ+:xmgesFes["b??:213130559

BUT...

It seems to be ripping my BluRays fine.

I haven't tried any DVDs because I don't own any.

I have noticed however that now MakeMKV doesn't see my mounted network drive. It's there and working in Explorer, but not visible in MakeMKV.

I can still rip to the location, but I have to manually select Network > Network PC > Shared folder > etc.

---------------------
UPDATE
---------------------

It turns out it isn't ripping.

MakeMKV showed it as Complete and finished, but there is no audio playing in any of the files and one of them is corrupted

Moving back to Windows 8.1
zombiehorde

Post by zombiehorde »

Well this really needs to be looked at, because, Windows 10 is being released on July 29th and all hell will break loose if it isn't looked at by then. Lots of unhappy people if it doesn't work at launch.
Tapioka

Post by Tapioka »

To be fair, I think the people who rip their DVDs/BDs manually and go through the hour-long trouble of finding the correct settings for further encoding is very, very, very small compared to the whole Windows user base. All hell might indeed break loose - but only in our very confined Blu-ray-ripping-hell.

That being said: Of course I would be the first one to jump on a working MakeMKV for Windows 10 ;).
gbfromhb

Post by gbfromhb »

Window 10 has a chance of becoming the operating system Microsoft should have put out for a while now. It is really nice.

I am a software developer and with my current project I have had to move to Windows 10. I currently downloaded Build: 10162 and MakeMKV seems to still be having adventures ripping.

I have had a wonderful experience using MakeMKV, and based on this experience I would suspect I should not worry, but I would love to just hear it is being worked on, and an estimated ETA for the solution.

Thanks for a great product.
bot2600

Post by bot2600 »

Just an FYI. Build 10240 just came down, and it is supposedly the RTM build (the watermark is gone) and the crash still happens.

Peace!
rjw2558

Post by rjw2558 »

For what it's worth, I just successfully ripped a DVD running MakeMKV on the Win10 RTM build. Took a look at the rip and it seems fine. This was the first disc I was even able to get to load in MakeMKV on Win10 in quite a while, so I hope it bodes well!

UPDATE: It apparently WAS some kind of fluke, because I haven't been able to repeat it with other disks. Making the Win10 laptop dual boot with Win8 so I can keep using MakeMKV for now.
Last edited by rjw2558 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tapioka

Post by Tapioka »

I thought only BDs were affected by the Windows 10 problem? I guess not.

Crash still happens here with 10240, too.
Elguapo361

Post by Elguapo361 »

I gave up trying to make it work. I spent 20 minutes downloading and setting up a Ubuntu VM under Windows 10 and installing MakeMKV there. To my amazement it worked perfectly well on Godfather III Coppolla collection. So, if you're on Windows 10 and don't want to roll back just to rip discs, give it a try.
rgalaz

Post by rgalaz »

Hello, this is the first time that i'm posting here... When I upgraded to build 10130, I stopped using makemkv on Windows 10. I would switch to Windows 8, which I had on a separated hard drive on my computer. But when I would switch to Windows 10, for some reason, the files I created in Windows 8 would disappear. Not sure if anyone has had that experience

Anyway, with the RTM release, I thought that I would give makemkv a try and figure out what was causing the problem. I set the compatibility to Windows 8 and to previous Windows versions along with running as administrator and nothing worked. So I decided to install the Cyberlink software (PowerDVD 10) that came with my Blu-ray drive.

After installing the software, I tried using makemkv and it worked, sort of. I was able to see the titles listed on the DVD, but creating a mkv file was excruciatingly slow. Makemkv calculated the ETA to completion to be over eight hours for a DVD. After that disappointment, I looked to see if there was a patch for the software, which there was, and applied it. Afterwards, I was able to convert a serveral DVDs to mkv files, but it seems to work best if the compatibility is set to Windows 8 with administrator. Also, some DVDs seem to take longer than normal to convert in Windows 10.

I have not tried the current version of Cyberlink's software as of yet or any other similar software, but I would like to see if this would help out others who have not been able to use makemkv normally in Windows 10.
throx

Post by throx »

Win10 wasn't working here either. I went with Elguapo361's idea, but used an XP VM under VMWare. Ripping just fine.
Theresa

Post by Theresa »

Hasn't worked properly with Windows 10 for months. Sometimes running PowerDVD at the same time will allow it to rip but even then the chance that the resulting file is corrupt is high. I will try running 7 in a virtual machine and see if that works.
meoge

Post by meoge »

I'm running build 10240 (RTM) and it's also broken for me. It's been this way for the last few builds. I can sometimes use AnyDVD HD and MakeMKV together with Blurays, but that doesn't work with DVD's at all. Hopefully the Dev's are investigating. A lot of people will be upgrading come July 29th.
character82

Post by character82 »

Hey guys, I work at MSFT and I'm more than willing to highlight this problem to them, but I need some information beyond MakeMKV doesn't work.

Can someone tell me what the actual problem is and what's broken or needs to be fixed.

The more specific the info, the more likely the fix
zoser42

Post by zoser42 »

character82 wrote:Hey guys, I work at MSFT and I'm more than willing to highlight this problem to them, but I need some information beyond MakeMKV doesn't work.

Can someone tell me what the actual problem is and what's broken or needs to be fixed.

The more specific the info, the more likely the fix
Perhaps this error log may help: http://pastebin.com/CzwEKe8q

I got it from the DVD Errors section of this forum.

Woodstock near the beginning of this thread said that perhaps "Windows build is blocking AACS key exchanges".

Hopefully someone at MakeMKV will respond soon with a more concise description of the problem soon.