Why do subtitle tracks sometimes not match up with discs?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Tyrindor

Why do subtitle tracks sometimes not match up with discs?

Post by Tyrindor »

I'd say 1 in 10 movies, the subtitles MakeMKV shows don't match up with the disc. There will sometimes be 3-4 english subtitle tracks, instead of the 1-2 when playing the movie in PowerDVD. If I verify english subs is track #2 by playing the disc in PowerDVD, then uncheck all sub tracks but #2 in MakeMKV, the end result is not always the same subtitle track. For example, with Tarzan, I got developer commentary.

I've found no way to actually figure the subtitles out on certain titles, other than ripping the movie with all subtitle tracks enabled, then using another program to remove the unwanted subtitle tracks. It really sucks, i've ripped many movies before realizing this, which resulted in some titles having hearing impaired subs, commentary subs, or not having forced tracks because they were embedded in the original subs.

Is this a known bug?
matt198t

Re: Why do subtitle tracks sometimes not match up with discs

Post by matt198t »

Rip movie with all subs checked.

Verify each subtitle track using VLC.

Open the mkv you've created in makemkv. Enable/disable/set default for the tracks available and re-rip.
Woodstock

Re: Why do subtitle tracks sometimes not match up with discs

Post by Woodstock »

PowerDVD probably isn't showing you subtitles that aren't in your preferred language. And there are times that displayed track numbers are based upon menu selections, which are not necessarily the same as the actual subtitle track number.

Like matt198t, I have MakeMKV rip ALL the subtitle tracks, then sort them out later. I generally will be feeding the file into handbrake for shrinking, and I can then put the subtitle tracks in the order the players will use them, because a lot of them completely ignore the "default" and "forced" flags.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging