1.9.3 gets stuck freezes hangs copying file?

Everything related to MakeMKV
potato

1.9.3 gets stuck freezes hangs copying file?

Post by potato »

hello
I had 1.9.2 installed and everything worked fine

I installed 1.9.3 and when I start a blu-ray backup, the GUI seems to stop working
it says: remaining time 0:00:00 but the elapsed time will continue to count on forever

the processor will also continue to run on load until I end the exe in task manager
but when I check, there are no more files being written to the hard drive once this occurs

I know the disc is not bad because it is now happening to every disc
mike admin

Re: 1.9.3 gets stuck freezes hangs copying file?

Post by mike admin »

Known bug, no workaround. Working on a fix. You might be lucky to open disc directly.
Lstewart2525

Post by Lstewart2525 »

mike admin wrote:Known bug, no workaround. Working on a fix. You might be lucky to open disc directly.
Thanks so much for posting this! I'm having the same problem and thought my computer, BD drive, or the Blu-rays themselves were the problem and was searching for a solution. Now I know one is coming and can relax.

Whew!
pamulli

Post by pamulli »

mike admin wrote:Known bug, no workaround. Working on a fix. You might be lucky to open disc directly.
This is a pretty serious bug. You guys should at least pull the download so everyone doesn't keep updating and then getting frustrated that it isn't working. I've spent a couple of hours trying to get this to work and now I find out it was a total waste of time.
neverforgetitsu

Post by neverforgetitsu »

Mike Admin,
Is there anyway you could please make version 1.9.2 available for download? I did not save the install files from previous installs. I'm having the same issues as well...

Thanks!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

/download/old/ has most previous versions.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
neverforgetitsu

Post by neverforgetitsu »

Woodstock wrote:http://makemkv.com/download/old/ has most previous versions.
Thanks Woodstock! I looked all over the site but couldn't see a "previous versions" link.

Thanks again,
Ant93

Post by Ant93 »

[quote="pamulli"This is a pretty serious bug. You guys should at least pull the download so everyone doesn't keep updating and then getting frustrated that it isn't working. I've spent a couple of hours trying to get this to work and now I find out it was a total waste of time.[/quote]

I totally agree this is a very bad bug for software that is meant to copy DVD's/BD's to your computer hard drive, 1.9.3 should be pulled!

There always seems to be at least one serious bug like this with each version of MakeMKV, it is actually starting to put me off using it now, come on Mike you better fix it within the next week or so! :evil:
mew1033

Post by mew1033 »

I don't think we should be telling Mike what he'd better or better not do. A workaround has already been posted in this thread (use an older version), no need to get snippy.
Lstewart2525

Post by Lstewart2525 »

mew1033 wrote:I don't think we should be telling Mike what he'd better or better not do. A workaround has already been posted in this thread (use an older version), no need to get snippy.
I agree with you mew1033. MakeMKV is an outstanding product that continually needs to be updated to cope with whatever commercial companies throw at it. So I'm gonna recommend being most grateful for what we've got. All things in due time. I have no idea who "Mike" actually is, but even so, I have a great deal of respect for his knowledge and talent. I mean, isn't he the one who overcame the BD+ problem? You gotta respect that.
pamulli

Post by pamulli »

I would have to say that leaving a software up that is broken and unable to perform it's primary function is irresponsible. The simple and immediate fix would be to remove the broken version and go back to the previously working version. That's just good business and caring about your customers. If I were evaluating a software to purchase and tried the currently available version and it didn't even work, I would probably never consider it again. Leaving 1.9.3 up and frustrating your customers makes no sense.
Lstewart2525

Post by Lstewart2525 »

May I just say that the super-fast turn around in producing 1.9.4 was most appreciated. No more problems, and an indication to me that the author does indeed care about his "customers." I will restate that I feel that we are most fortunate to have such a person to cover so many bases in this world, and I do wish to thank him for his excellent work, that, to me, is unsurpassed, neither by DVDFab or Anydvd HD or any other process.

I even learned some stuff in dealing with the situation, namely that:

1. Making MKV's and then streaming them via an external hard drive, via an android box is another viable option that I was not fully aware of, though in my limited experience with that process, I still consider the competing process of producing the BDMV and Certificate files with MakeMKV, and then using BD Rebuilder and ImgBurn to produce an extraordinary Blu-ray onto a 25 GB blu-ray blank that will play on most any ordinary blu-ray player to be the ultimate process. That process is extraordinarily good because it may take 2-3 hours to complete the process on an ordinary computer, limiting pirates who might illegally make copies that they might sell, and yet allowing for the rest of us to make the 1 copy that we desire to back up our expensive collection that now remains safely shut away in their cases in pristine condition having been played only one or two times in the copy process.

2. I also discovered XBMC/Kodi, and while there are some above average movies/TV Shows available through that arrangement, seldom, if ever, does one get the superior performance of blu-rays produced via the MakeMKV/BD Rebuilder/ImgBurn process. And when one has seen the best, it's almost impossible (at least for me) to really enjoy a sub-par version of some movie or show.

So again, thanks Mike for the excellent work you do here. It is most appreciated!