Saving a DVD whole

Everything related to MakeMKV
boristm

Saving a DVD whole

Post by boristm »

When I save a DVD it saves all the files separately as individual mkv files. Is there a way to save the entire disc into one mkv file?
Woodstock

Re: Saving a DVD whole

Post by Woodstock »

Not with MakeMKV. In fact, what you're looking for is a program to convert to an ISO file, and there are several out there.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
boristm

Post by boristm »

No I don't want an iso file. What I mean is there is a movie on the dvd and sometimes there are outtakes, or actor and director commentaries, and it would be nice to be able to save these as an integral part of the file.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

No, the MKV generated by MakeMKV won't work like that. The outtakes are separate files on the DVD/BD, and programming code on the disk is what tells the player how to deal with inserting the snippets while playing it back.
aecad

Post by aecad »

You can manually assemble several .mkv files (e.g., some deleted scenes) into 1 using mkvMerge/MmkvToolNix. I do this frequently.
Pioneer BD-RW BDR-208D / Intel i7-4770K / Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
boristm

Post by boristm »

So I'd rip all the files from the DVD, then merge them into one mkv file?

Thanks I'll give that a go :)
rickyjm

Post by rickyjm »

Sorry but I don't understand. I see a lot of movies out there with only one MKV file. Why is this not possible with MakeMKV? Or does this feature need to be suggested first?
Always back it up. Image
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The original post is about creating an MKV with "everything from the DVD". While it is possible to assemble an MKV file from all the separate MKV files, it is NOT going to function the same as the DVD, in terms of menus and features.
boristm

Post by boristm »

No I don't want a DVD rip like that with menus and features etc. All I want is sometimes there's interviews and outtakes, and it'd be nice to have them in the same file. No biggy, would just prefer it if I could.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You can search for "mkvtoolnix" and find a tool that will let you combine multiple MKV files into one. It's tricky at times, though, because you do not want to merge them side-by-side... the default behavior when you add a source. You want to append them.

Where you can run into problems is that extras rarely have all the same audio tracks as the main feature, so there will be conflicts in track IDs.

So, while you CAN do what you want with free tools, you may not want to do the work.

Frankly, I rip everything, watch the extras once, then process the movie through handbrake to put it (not the extras) on the media server. Everything else gets deleted after that. If I really want to see the extras again, I can get the DVD or BD out of storage again.
boristm

Post by boristm »

Thinking about it, what you say makes sense. Apart from Handbrake, which I've tried to get to work a few times and it doesn't for me.
Anyway, thanks for your time.