Optical Drive RPC error

Everything related to MakeMKV
atc98092

Optical Drive RPC error

Post by atc98092 »

I know this has been covered before, but I seem to have a slightly different issue. Either that, or I'm getting dense in my old age! :roll:

My drive gives me this error:
Drive BD-ROM ATAPI iHOS104 WL0G has RPC protection that can not be bypassed. Change drive region or update drive firmware.

It's the second sentence that has me confused. I could understand if I were trying to open a disc with a different region code, but my drive and the DVDs are all Region 1. I can't change the region because it's already set correctly. Naturally, there's no firmware update for this drive to remove the RPC protection.

I've never encountered a problem ripping a DVD, despite this message. I have had an occasional problem with Blu-Ray movies, but it's been pretty much confined to the Star Wars and Star Trek movies. I'd just like to resolve the error message. Some day I may want to rip a disc with a different region code :wink:
Serviio media server with 18 TB of space. Over 1500 movies and 2000 TV episodes. Samsung JU7100 TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Roku 4, Ultra and two Roku TVs (one 4K) on a gigabit network.
Woodstock

Re: Optical Drive RPC error

Post by Woodstock »

Is it with a specific disk (or disks), or all DVDs?

I get this message from time to time with MakeMKV on a drive that has not had a region set. It has been generally harmless, as the rip takes place anyway, but it DOES pop up. Most other times, it doesn't appear.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
atc98092

Re: Optical Drive RPC error

Post by atc98092 »

Woodstock wrote:Is it with a specific disk (or disks), or all DVDs?

I get this message from time to time with MakeMKV on a drive that has not had a region set. It has been generally harmless, as the rip takes place anyway, but it DOES pop up. Most other times, it doesn't appear.
No, it only appears occasionally. The drive does have the region set (North America), and all discs are the same region. As you said, the rips still take place. I can certainly live with it, as long as it has no impact.

Thanks!
Serviio media server with 18 TB of space. Over 1500 movies and 2000 TV episodes. Samsung JU7100 TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Roku 4, Ultra and two Roku TVs (one 4K) on a gigabit network.