Is there a way to makemkv auto copy every audio track?

Everything related to MakeMKV
thesnappysneezer

Is there a way to makemkv auto copy every audio track?

Post by thesnappysneezer »

I thought it did but random audio tracks are not carrying over, mostly the commentary tracks. I might would want to auto not include spanish or french tracks either but I had heard they don't really affect the file size anyways. I haven't even been clicking the title to check, I thought they all carried over and in many cases they all do but several haven't and now I am going back in again. Also, is there much difference in file size with the foreign audio and subtitle tracks? I am going back through everything again and if I must click to choose these things will I save much space eliminating them? I do see while looking at one film, it has three audio tracks all DD Stereo English. In this case, One is the film, one is commentary, the other, who knows?
ndjamena

Re: Is there a way to makemkv auto copy every audio track?

Post by ndjamena »

View->preferences->General->Expert Mode->Advanced->Default Selection Rule

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4386
thesnappysneezer

All I see is this there :

-sel:all,+sel:(favlang|nolang|single),-sel:(havemulti|havecore),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang

and I have no idea what it means.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Changing that string to just "+sel:all" would default to selecting every track within a title, regardless of language.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
thesnappysneezer

Thanks for that piece of information. Now that I have experimented with deselection and adding I do see that the foreign language audio and subtitle tracks make enough of a difference in file size that I am planning on getting rid of them. On the files that I have made that have not lost a random commentary, I am just going through the file left on my pc but in the future is there a way to make it just take all tracks but spanish, french, etc... I would make alterations for foreign films. Also as I am doing this to files already copied it won't keep the track info that I renamed it to. Being that this was a rather large short film collection it is taking some time. Is there anyway to make it keep the titles given? Also I was wondering if there were a batch file option for make mkv, looking at 124 here. I see an add on for MakeMKV batch and I was wondering if it was good and safe?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Batch conversion: http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6556

Long thread, but it might help.

Personally, I rip EVERYTHING, with the exception of 3D tracks, and sort it out later when I convert the files with Handbrake. If you're concerned enough about space to want to remove audio tracks, converting the video to a more efficient encoding can make MAJOR differences. For animated features, I see 70% size reduction. For action films, it's 20-30%, sometimes more.
thesnappysneezer

Woodstock wrote:Batch conversion: http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6556

Long thread, but it might help.

Personally, I rip EVERYTHING, with the exception of 3D tracks, and sort it out later when I convert the files with Handbrake. If you're concerned enough about space to want to remove audio tracks, converting the video to a more efficient encoding can make MAJOR differences. For animated features, I see 70% size reduction. For action films, it's 20-30%, sometimes more.
Everytime I have used handbrake I have hated the video results.

Now something bad has happened. All of a sudden makemkv has decided that the folder I have been storing files is in wrong and is automatically trying to put them on another harddrive and I have to manually select the right one, the same one it was using before.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Well, I don't do handbrake support here on this forum.... but I will say that the results depend upon the settings made, and different target devices need different settings.

As for MakeMKV, are you saying the default destination has changed (Preferences->Video)?

The settings there interact - "None" always asks where to put things, and the others create the output path in different ways. "SemiAuto" tries to use the name found during the opening of the disk to create the path. I had problems with this until I changed the text in the box to just "z:" (my rip-to drive), because having "z:\" caused problems. That was about 20 versions ago, and I don't know if it is still that way, because I found something that worked then, and it still does today.

The "Auto" setting didn't fit my needs, so I don't use it... and don't know what it does anymore.
thesnappysneezer

Yeah that is pretty much what happened.When I started using the program it saved the files to the hardrive F but all of a sudden it started saving to c. Changing the default in the menu does not change what it does. I will look into what you suggested. Many thank yous.