Suggestion: add subs

Everything related to MakeMKV
BobLSL

Suggestion: add subs

Post by BobLSL »

Hi,

Kudos for a fantastic software!

It would be nice to be able to manually add a subtitle track, either a BR sup one, or, better but much harder to implement, an SRT one with settings similar to those of the sup export within Subtitle Edit.
Woodstock

Re: Suggestion: add subs

Post by Woodstock »

Do a google search for "mkvtoolnix".

While I can not speak for Mike in any capacity, it seems counter productive to add in too many "it would be nice to have this because I need it sometimes" features, when other tools handle that feature quite well already.

Of course, I was raised in the "build simple tools that do one thing well" school, rather than modern the "build one thing that does lots of things kind of OK" environment.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BobLSL

Post by BobLSL »

Yes, thanks, I'm already using MKVMerge to that effect.

But it's a 2-step process, and since it's something I do regularly, I feel like it would be an useful addition.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I already have a two-step process, involving handbrake, so adding SRT subtitles is simple... import them in handbrake. I do it there because I have too many devices that can't deal well with text-based subtitles (note that I said "well"!), so I have HB burn them in.
Tapioka

Post by Tapioka »

Just to be clear: If you say "burn in", you actually mean burned in, always-on-subs, right? Can't disable it? I don't think that's an ideal solution. Then again, who am I to say what you do with your subs ;).

On a larger scale: I agree that we should stick to the "one tool for each step" kind of environment. I don't like "bloaty" tools either. While adding what Bob asks wouldn't be bloaty at all, I imagine, it would start the "Where does it stop?" question. Next thing you know, MakeMKV handles encoding in place of Handbrake, extracts subs, edits chapters and in 2019 we have one of those oversized Blu-ray authoring suites ;).
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Yes, burned-in-always-on, because, as I said, the particular players involved do not do SRT particularly well. Fonts suck, timing is off, etc. Having handbrake render them means the fonts and effects are there.

Of course, some players (like Chromecast) can ONLY deal with text subtitles...