Big Bang Season 8

Everything related to MakeMKV
Battledad

Big Bang Season 8

Post by Battledad »

I ordered Big Bang Season and want to convert it to .mkv when it comes in. There will be 3 disks. How to I convert the episodes and how do I know which is which? Can I convert all of them on a disk at the same time or one at a time?
Woodstock

Re: Big Bang Season 8

Post by Woodstock »

Only a guess here, but... Put the disk in, let MakeMKV read it, and go from there?

If you don't have the disks yet, there is no log for us to go by to say, "Oh, it's this layout...". The DVD versions of BBT had one episode per title, so the BD version is probably the same. Just make sure that they m2ts file names increment correctly, and you should have the correct order.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Theresa

Post by Theresa »

I used makemkv to rip some blu-rays of Big Bang Theory. The episode order was random.
Battledad

Post by Battledad »

Were the episode names on the DVD for each file so you know which is which? If not how did you go about finding the episode name/#?
Theresa

Post by Theresa »

No, there was no indication on the BD which file was which. I had to watch them in random order.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There weren't any names on the titles, if that's what you're referring to. Just their title number, and, to the best of my memory, the VOB files were in episode order. But, that was months ago. It was a favor to a friend, and everything left together, so I have nothing but memory to go on.

A "problem" with some BD authors is that they won't place the files in order in the directory. The file names may have the episodes in order, but they're dropped into the directory out of order. And MakeMKV builds the title list in the order of the names in the directory.

Example, episodes are in files number 1,2,3,5,7,8,9,11,14,15. But, they're in the directory in the order 15,14,11,7,5,3,9,8,2,1. MakeMKV will assign the title numbers as:

15 -> 0
14 -> 1
11 -> 2
7 -> 3
5 -> 4
3 -> 5
9 -> 6
8 -> 7
2 -> 8
1 -> 9

If you have expert mode turned on, you can rename the files before you rip them.... Just make sure that the file names (displayed in the right panel as you highlight each title on the left) are in the right order.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Battledad

Post by Battledad »

Solved. Set showed up today. They converted in order 1-8; 9-16; 17-24. I watched the first in each series to confirm and then followed the naming convention and all seems to work fine.

Thanks for the guidance and help.