Mapped network drives and Windows 10

Everything related to MakeMKV
RonRN18

Mapped network drives and Windows 10

Post by RonRN18 »

I'm not exactly sure where my new issue with MakeMKV is taking place but I am no longer able to see mapped network drives. I have recently had to rebuild my desktop from scratch (catastrophic primary hard drive crash) and replaced it with a new solid state drive, so I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 while rebuilding. I redownloaded MakeMKV and installed it. I have a huge NAS system with several mapped network shares. From every other program, including built-in file explorer, I can access these shares without any issue, just like local drives but they do not appear within MakeMKV. At the moment, my workaround is to bring all files local and then transfer them to the shares outside of MakeMKV but it is frustrating that I can't do it within the program. As I mentioned, I'm not sure if it is a new "feature" of the latest MakeMKV or something with Windows 10.
Opentoe

Re: Mapped network drives and Windows 10

Post by Opentoe »

RonRN18 wrote:I'm not exactly sure where my new issue with MakeMKV is taking place but I am no longer able to see mapped network drives. I have recently had to rebuild my desktop from scratch (catastrophic primary hard drive crash) and replaced it with a new solid state drive, so I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 while rebuilding. I redownloaded MakeMKV and installed it. I have a huge NAS system with several mapped network shares. From every other program, including built-in file explorer, I can access these shares without any issue, just like local drives but they do not appear within MakeMKV. At the moment, my workaround is to bring all files local and then transfer them to the shares outside of MakeMKV but it is frustrating that I can't do it within the program. As I mentioned, I'm not sure if it is a new "feature" of the latest MakeMKV or something with Windows 10.
I see the same thing. All my network shares not on the local computer aren't visible within the MakeMKV program. But all you need to do is in the FILENAME field use a network path name. For example my media server is called "SUN" so when I want to access shares on that server from within MakeMKV I need to enter this into the FILENAME field:
\\sun <press enter>

It will then pop up whatever shares are on that system. Copying files local and back takes time. No need.
You can also specify a network path directly on the output line if you want. Like:
\\sun\movies\movietitle

Not sure why natively the program does not recognize my network drives, but ways to get around it.