Conversion profiles missing in upgrade to 1.12.3

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Mysus456

Conversion profiles missing in upgrade to 1.12.3

Post by Mysus456 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:17 am

I'm currently using MakeMKV Windows v 1.12.3

I've been converting my DVD/BD library and got tired of subs running in VLC when ENG is being flagged default, so I started looking at profiles. [Basically, this: How to set subtitles off]

I spent the last 2 hours trying to figure out how and where the XML files were located. There were none in my install directory [Like this post: Location for profiles in v.1.12.0].

No XML files were listed in my data directory: C:/Users/userM12/.MakeMKV

There was a post where davidmcgill pulled an old one from backup, but it seems he experienced the same: https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopi ... 123#p60758

I'll backup my work, but thought I'd point this out if it wasnt already known. I didnt see anything in my searches.

Woodstock

Re: Conversion profiles missing in upgrade to 1.12.3

Post by Woodstock » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:09 pm

MakeMKV now keeps the "standard" profiles in a .tar file found in the MakeMKV program directory, named "appdata.tar".

To create your own, you can extract the contents to your MakeMKV data directory, then edit one of them to create your new profile.

As for VLC, though, it's going to play the first subtitle in your chosen language that it finds. You would have to remove subtitles from your rips, or re-arrange them with mkvmerge in the mkvtoolnix tool set. You can disable subtitle ripping in the advance tab of Tools->Preferences, by changing the default selection rule, without resorting to a new profile.
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8

Mysus456

Post by Mysus456 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:43 pm

Thanks for the confirmation. I tried extracting a tar in the default install directory, but there were nested tarballs and I didn’t see any XML files so I gave up. I’ll double check tonight.

It would probably be helpful to others to update the custom profile sticky to reflect this change.

VLC is my first test, but I primarily use Plex. I’m going to dig deeper then rip my entire. Collection so the profiles might help with that.

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:09 pm

NVM, the link Woodstock provided was inclusive... redundant.