Ripping X-Files(Akte X) Box Set (Limited Edition) correctly?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Endymion

Ripping X-Files(Akte X) Box Set (Limited Edition) correctly?

Post by Endymion »

Hi there,

i got me the german X-Files (Akte X) Box Set on Blu ray as christmas present for myself. I loved the show on TV during the 90s, but didn't manage to see all seasons.

I now try to rip Season 1-9 but i have a very hard time to find the right order of the episodes, since there is no title of the episode presented during playback. Is there anyone that has gone already there and can tell the correct oder of the episodes? Or maybe a good workaround without spoilering myself in later seasons?

Thanks in advance,

much appriciated
Woodstock

Re: Ripping X-Files(Akte X) Box Set (Limited Edition) correc

Post by Woodstock »

I don't know on the X-Files disks, but... The usual case is that the file NAME on the disk will be in order of the episodes, but the order displayed in MakeMKV may not be. You can see the file name in the lower right when you click on a title in the left hand menu.

Watching the log file as titles are located during the scan will tell you if everything will be "in order", or if you have to manually change the order; it will say "File xxxxxxxx was added as title #nn" as the directory is scanned. If the number in the file name always increases as they are found, you are probably going to find that the episodes are in the correct order.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Endymion

Post by Endymion »

thank you
Navvie

Post by Navvie »

I've got the French box set, it's the same discs for all of Europe AFAIK... might as well buy the cheapest if you don't mind the boxes not being in a foreign language, besides I'm never going to look at the boxes once it's ripped.

All the X-Files episodes are ~45 minutes long, you can discard any title on the disc under 30 minutes.

When ripped, if you skip to nearly the end of the credits, all the episodes have a code like "01X79", this info is on thetvdb.com for each episode... it helped when I ripped my DVDs, sometimes the order of titles on the discs is not the order shown on the packaging and sometimes it's not the order they were originally broadcast in. I'll leave you to decide if you want disc or broadcast order though.
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE
angelgraves13

Post by angelgraves13 »

I ripped my entire set about a month ago, with the correct season 8 discs that I received from FOX. Make sure to get your replacement season 8 discs as the ones included in the set suffer from black crush.

Most of the episodes are in the correct order already. It was only the season 2 or season 3 premiere that was out of order on the discs. Seasons 8 and 9 also have some episodes where the intros are a different segment, so they may show up at the end of the disc.

Other than that, it's all pretty much straight forward.
jus1973

Post by jus1973 »

I've found that using MetaZ for many series actually picks up the episode length for a given episode of a given show, season, and then populates the title and the rest of the meta data quite well. The only problems I had were with the odd time when 2 episodes of a show were exactly the same length (down to the second) from the same season. You'd be surprised how much variation there actually is in many shows.
This now forms part of my workflow for all my discs