dts decoder dll question flac

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
deco123

dts decoder dll question flac

Post by deco123 »

Hello

I want to convert dts hd ma to flac in makemkv.

I understand that in makemkv version 1.9.9 you don't need the TMT dts decoder dll to convert dtshd ma to FLAC and now you get an open source dts hd ma decoder with makemkv 1.9.9 installation.

But I saw that in advanced tab you have the ability to detect and use the TMT dll.

I don't have the TMT dts decoder dll and want to use the one makemkv provides but I cant figure out how to do that, confused.

Another small question: can this open source dts decoder makemkv provides can convert TrueHD to flac as well?

any help please.

thank you very much
Woodstock

Re: dts decoder dll question flac

Post by Woodstock »

The build-in decoder will be used unless you tell MakeMKV otherwise.

However... you have to use a profile that does FLAC conversion. Which profile are you using?

As to what it can convert, others will have to answer that... I don't bother with conversion in MakeMKV; I have it copy the tracks untouched, and worry about conversions later within handbrake.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
deco123

Post by deco123 »

Woodstock wrote:The build-in decoder will be used unless you tell MakeMKV otherwise.

However... you have to use a profile that does FLAC conversion. Which profile are you using?

As to what it can convert, others will have to answer that... I don't bother with conversion in MakeMKV; I have it copy the tracks untouched, and worry about conversions later within handbrake.
the dts decoder DLL folder input field in the advanced tab is blank. Also I chose FLAC profile from the advanced tab, I didn't touch, edit the profile or anything since the install.

So everything should work ok in converting to DTS HD MA to FLAC then from what I have done as written above?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Yes, with those settings, it should work. I do recall there being a limitation on some tracks with the built-in decoder, which is why the option to use an external is still there, but it hasn't been something I needed to worry about, so it hasn't stuck in my brain. :)
deco123

Post by deco123 »

Woodstock wrote:Yes, with those settings, it should work. I do recall there being a limitation on some tracks with the built-in decoder, which is why the option to use an external is still there, but it hasn't been something I needed to worry about, so it hasn't stuck in my brain. :)
First, thank you.

I wanted to ask what do you mean by limitations on certain tracks using the built in decoder? What kind of limitation? Will it give me errors if it has limitation on that specific track?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Again, I just remember reading messages about it. The most direct knowledge I would have is from this page: http://www.makemkv.com/dtshd/

There are a couple of other people who post here regularly that use it, so maybe they can say what is/isn't applicable, if Mike doesn't pop up soon.
deco123

Post by deco123 »

Woodstock wrote:Again, I just remember reading messages about it. The most direct knowledge I would have is from this page: /dtshd/

There are a couple of other people who post here regularly that use it, so maybe they can say what is/isn't applicable, if Mike doesn't pop up soon.
Alright, thank you.

I hope someone would elaborate on what you said about limitations of the open source decoder.
tebasuna51

Post by tebasuna51 »

deco123 wrote:I hope someone would elaborate on what you said about limitations of the open source decoder.
The last version of the open source DTS-HD decoding library work even better than some dtsdecoderdll.dll versions.

The unique limitation, at this moment, is than not support 'DTS-Express' tracks (low bitrate for comentary, for instance).
But I'm sure than you don't need convert these tracks to flac.
dsp5500

Post by dsp5500 »

I cant seem to convert DTSHD-MA 4.0 sound tracks. Unsupported format.
Anyone else tried to convert this format to flac?