Feature Request: File Names Based on Segment Map

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
dangruhn

Feature Request: File Names Based on Segment Map

Post by dangruhn »

When ripping from a Blu-ray, an excellent method is to use Open Files View with PC-based Blu-ray player software to determine which features on the disc go with which segment files.

What would be very helpful to facilitate this is to have an option to replace the arbitrary _t01, _t02, etc. filenames with a comma separated list of the segments that make up that ripped file. That way, one could rip the entire disc and then rename each file by what Open Files View shows.

Any hope of this happening?
Yugatha

Re: Feature Request: File Names Based on Segment Map

Post by Yugatha »

While I hate to revive a dead thread, is there any reason why you can't check the segment map WHILE you're using MakeMKV, instead of afterwards? MakeMKV shows the segment map on the right when the title is selected, allowing you to confirm which is the correct title then and there.
dangruhn

Post by dangruhn »

The Makemkv UI makes this a slow and cumbersome task. The order in which items are displayed seems to have nothing to do with segment numbers necessitating scrolling up and down the list for each desired section.

Can I do this? Certainly, and I have done so. However, I think this use case is common and the difficulty is low. The software already has access to the information and the filename is arbitrary, the most difficult part would seem to be adding a selection to the GUI.

Am I missing something here?
Yugatha

Post by Yugatha »

dangruhn wrote: However, I think this use case is common and the difficulty is low.
I cannot comment on the use case being common for others, only myself. Personally, I prefer to do it via MakeMKV, as it prevents me needing to mess with it later on (which is important, as I've scripted everything after the MakeMKV rip is complete, including removing the _t00 at the end, removing underscores, encoding via handbrake, and the move to its final resting place etc). Changing the output format from _t00 to something else, personally, would be inconvenient.

But that's my use case. The common belief / desire on the forum is to do away completely with the _t00 suffix - for a lot of people, it's an extra step removing it in their ripping process. Consequently, it has been requested many times on the forum (a quick search should show a few threads), but has not changed, which has been the decision of Mike.

From a programming point of view, I can agree with keeping it the way it is - it ensures a unique filename for each title ripped. If it were to switch to the segment map, there may be duplicates. Doing away with it entirely would also not guarantee a unique name (think ripping a BluRay disc - most of the time, every title is given the name of the Disc, causing anywhere from 1 to 20+ titles all with the same name). If people had to manually rename each of the 20 files they wanted ripping to ensure uniqueness, it would be a tedious task.

Basically, the request to change it is up to Mike. Personally, this is the first time I've seen this request come up, and find it unlikely Mike will change it for one user, especially if it requires rewriting his code to ensure unique filenames. In the meantime, and possibly as a final solution, you can copy the Segment Map from the right box and paste it at the end of the filename section - a tad annoying, yes, but should do as you need it to do.
dangruhn

Post by dangruhn »

I am a bit puzzled by your reply.

Naming each ripped piece for the segment(s) it contains would guarrantee that they are all uniquely named. Otherwise the process that is finding the pieces to rip it finding duplicates.

As for changing everyone's results, my request is for a selection of some sort (checkbox, drop-down list, etc.) to choose the tans an or segment map naming format. If it defaulted to tNNN that would be fine by me and would leave operation just as it is now.

I'd be quite willing to do this work myself, if that is acceptable and someone would point me in the right direction.

[edited: spelling error]
kenneth

Post by kenneth »

I added a {segment-map} tag to BatchMKV which is a batch conversion program that uses MakeMKV behind-the-scenes. BatchMKV has a tag naming feature which can be used for title name and filename (see the Title tab under Settings).

If interested, it can be found here. The {segment-map} tag is currently only in the beta branch, which you can find a link to here.

Edit: Regarding duplicates, it's true there can be duplicates if using only the comma-separated segment map, since multiple titles can have the same segment map. In BatchMKV, you could for example use {titleindex-all} or {titleindex-included} along with {segment-map}. On the other hand, unless BatchMKV is set to overwrite existing files, in the case of duplicate file names, it would just append (1), (2), etc. to the filename.
BatchMKV - free Windows-based batch processing software for MakeMKV
dangruhn

Post by dangruhn »

Thanks Kenneth, I'll give it a try.