Control over data rate / image quality?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
garydauphin

Control over data rate / image quality?

Post by garydauphin »

I am using the latest version on Mac OS X 10.11. This software is tight!

Anyway, just wanted to know: is there a way for me to increase the converted data rate of the output file? I could not find any settings for changing the data rate, video size, etc.

Unclear if I am just missing some advance settings, or it is not part of the software?
Woodstock

Re: Control over data rate / image quality?

Post by Woodstock »

Changing bit rates means recoding. Tools vary in cost and complexity. I use handbrake (from handbrake.fr), but the adventurous use tools like ffmpeg to do it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
garydauphin

Post by garydauphin »

Thanks, but I'd rather not recode. I would simply like to have a dialog box before encoding that says "Requested Data Rate:" _____ and let me type in the bitrate I would like to shoot for. Since some bitrate is being set by the software anyway, it should not be a difficult change.

Otherwise, it gets too complicated, and one of the things I like about this tool is the simplicity.
Yugatha

Post by Yugatha »

You say you don't want to recode, then ask for options on recoding.

MakeMKV is a tool to extract the video and audio / subtitle streams from a disc, and store them in an MKV file. The video stream stored in the MKV file is the exact same as was on the disc (a bit for bit copy). and therefore it is impossible to increase the bit-rate of the video stream using MakeMKV (same rules for audio and subtitle stream).
Since some bitrate is being set by the software anyway
The bitrate is being set by the DVD / BluRay disc (and whoever authored it to begin with), not by MakeMKV.
one of the things I like about this tool is the simplicity
This is what is great about MakeMKV - it does one thing, and does it well. It doesn't try to become a one-stop shop, but works to perform its one function properly.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

garydauphin wrote:Anyway, just wanted to know: is there a way for me to increase the converted data rate of the output file?
Why would you want that? If the BD has bitrate X, inflating it to X+something (by recoding!) does not increase the information/quality.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch