Decrypting an ISO

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
thetoad

Decrypting an ISO

Post by thetoad »

So I have 2 physical discs of the same bluray. Both are damaged, but with ddrescue I am able to make a complete image of the disc. If I try to specify makemkv on the iso it doesn't work (as I expected)

Code: Select all

makemkvcon info iso:test.iso
MakeMKV v1.10.2 linux(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc
Total 0 titles
is there a way to force specifying the volume key for the disc (especially as I have both damaged physical discs still) and can even keep it in the drive at the same time
Woodstock

Re: Decrypting an ISO

Post by Woodstock »

http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/12 (although the directory mentioned SHOULD be whatever you have in Preferences->General for your MakeMKV data directory)

Getting the database can be problematic; when I last looked for a copy of it, the most recent was a year old.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

"First, you need to set an "AACS keys directory" in preferences"

I don't see that in my preferences (Linux)

and I know see your coment about makemkv directory

But I guess my main point was that shouldn't MakeMKV be able to generate that key data needed if I have the physical disc, (i.e. out of date internet downloadable key db's shouldn't matter) i.e. it might be damaged and a backup might not be able to be completed, but as long as it can be started the key data should be able to be generated for the ISO I'll then create via ddrescue.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

so made progress, but makemkvconf doesn't work with backup and an iso (it should, see the use case I'm describing)

Code: Select all

Backup source must start with "disc:"
but it looks like if I use /dev/loop (0 in my case) it works. Or at least is doing something, I'll see the results later.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

and I was wrong, it wasn't working off of /dev/loop0, it was working off the physical disc. oh well, so I'd have 2 feature requests

1) Generate/Store the keys from a physical disc
2) allow backup to work off an ISO using those keys.