Chapter timestamp

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
abel413

Chapter timestamp

Post by abel413 »

Hi,

I add some talks in the forum regarding Chapters which are not recognized properly sometimes (e.g. they start too quickly including extra mili seconds from previous scene). Actually, I noticed that chapters appear on MakeMKV with following format : h:mm:ss, like for example 0:03:40. But after demuxing manually chapters from the BluRay it appears correct timestamp is 00:03:40.7622000 e.g. h:mm:ss.xxxxxx.

So I guess these extra decimals matters and can explain the issue. So what I want to know is whether these decimals are cut or rounded by MakeMKV ? If yes, do you think an evolution could be implemented to keep them so as to display correct chapters ? If no, then, is there a particular reason to explain my issue ? Honestly, it is almost clear that starting at 0:03:40 instead of 00:03:40.7622000 can result in seing a very few unexpected frames from previous scene while current chapter scene starts.
abel413

Re: Chapter timestamp

Post by abel413 »

So isn't there any MakeMKV developer to help ?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The MakeMKV developer is Mike, and he isn't here every day.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
abel413

Post by abel413 »

Do you mean there is only 1 developper ?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

As far as any of us have been able to tell, Mike is the only developer. He hasn't said anything publicly to confirm or deny that, but I haven't seen "developer-level messages" from anyone other than him in all the time I've been on this forum.

There are a few people on the forum here that are much more familiar with the intricacies of how things are stored in MKV files than me, that might know the answer to your timestamp question, though.
abel413

Post by abel413 »

Actually my concern was much more to know whether they can do such an evolution e.g. take mili seconds in account. Else we will often have wrong chapters as they will start too early in many cases.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Not sure anything needs to be added - it looks like a limitation in the tool you used to view the chapter information:

As you can see, chapter timing is already stored to fractions of a millisecond.
abel413

Post by abel413 »

Hmm well perhaps these mili seconds are taken in account in spite of the fact they are not displayed. Why not ? But then somewhere backside the values are rounded. If that is true it would be absurd : why would they 'edit' chapter file ? It should just be muxed untouched. It looks logical to me.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I'm still of the opinion that this issue comes down to disk authoring. I've seen this primarily in disks that are authored as one large file with all episodes (Bleach, Ah My Goddess, etc.) vs. separate files per episode with an all-encompassing play list for those episodes (some NCIS seasons, some Doctor Who seasons).

The all-in-one-file disks do not guarantee a key frame at what would be the chapter boundary, but the individual files version will always have an initial key frame to start the file.
abel413

Post by abel413 »

Hmm well if I copy full bluray to computer then open m2ts with adequate mpls file for chapters and information and finally remux movie to mkv with MKVToolnix there is no problem. So it is clear something is done wrong by MakeMKV. In my cases it is almost always the case with movie but it does not happen with bonus extracted (making of, cut footage...). I dont think my blurays are all in one as I systematically have one m2ts for the movie, one for making of ect