Forced Subtitle Only Selection Rule

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Taddeusz

Forced Subtitle Only Selection Rule

Post by Taddeusz » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:29 pm

I just became aware of the advanced selection rules. I already have a my preferred language selected but I would like it to select only forced subtitles. I don't need the full subtitles.

On a side note I'd like it to only rip the AC3 core for TrueHD and only the lossless DTS-MA (not the DTS core) for DTS. Weird, I know.

Taddeusz

Re: Forced Subtitle Only Selection Rule

Post by Taddeusz » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:45 pm

I've added this to my default selection profile, would this do what I want?

Code: Select all

-sel:subtitle,+sel:forced

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:23 pm

I know of only 1 title out there that this will work - Avatar. I own no other titles where there are subtitles that are FLAGGED as "forced".

The general rule is that forced subtitles will have their own track, and nothing will have the forced flag. As such, MakeMKV will not find any to save.

The only reliable way to determine which track is correct is to rip all of them, then check each one to see if it is just the forced subtitles, and use mkvmerge (from mkvtoolnix) or handbrake to make that the FIRST track in the file.
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8

Taddeusz

Post by Taddeusz » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:40 pm

Woodstock wrote:I know of only 1 title out there that this will work - Avatar. I own no other titles where there are subtitles that are FLAGGED as "forced".

The general rule is that forced subtitles will have their own track, and nothing will have the forced flag. As such, MakeMKV will not find any to save.

The only reliable way to determine which track is correct is to rip all of them, then check each one to see if it is just the forced subtitles, and use mkvmerge (from mkvtoolnix) or handbrake to make that the FIRST track in the file.
That's the point. I always select "forced only" on subtitle tracks because I never know if there are any. If there are any forced subtitles they will be ripped. If not MakeMKV will remove the empty track.

Chetwood

Post by Chetwood » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:59 am

Taddeusz wrote:If there are any forced subtitles they will be ripped.
As Woodstock explained above in the text you quoted they will NOT be ripped since virtually all forced subtitles aren't flagged as such which is why Makemkv CAN NOT recognize them.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch

Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:35 am

There are three different subtitle contens possible in an track. Case 1 is often used for foreign subtitles, all subs in one track and the forced with flag set. The MakeMkv "Forced subtitle track" makes only sense for case 1, to extract the forced set subtitles form all others into an extra track. Case 2 makes no sense, but can be used, case 3 is used on many discs, but in this case the MakeMkv "Forced subtitle track" is empty.

So it makes sense to always select both options and figure it later with VLC out and remove or reorder the tracks with MkvToolNix.

Sample subtitle contens:

Case 1 - Subtitle Track (Mixed)
------------------------------
Subtitle 1
Subtitle 2
Subtitle 3 (with Forced Flag set)
Subtitle 4
Subtitle 5
Subtitle 6 (with Forced Flag set)
Subtitle 7
Subtitle 8 (with Forced Flag set)
Subtitle 9

After extract with MakeMkv:

Normal Subtitle Track contains all Subtitles (1-9)
Forced Subtitle Track contains only Subtitles (3,6,8)

Case 2 - Subtitle Track (only Forced Subtitles with Flag set) (Setting the flag makes no sense, but it is possible)
---------------------------------------------------------

Subtitle 3 (with Forced Flag set)
Subtitle 6 (with Forced Flag set)
Subtitle 8 (with Forced Flag set)

Normal Subtitle Track contains all Subtitles (3,6,8)
Forced Subtitle Track contains all Subtitles (3,6,8)

Case 3 - Subtitle Track (only Forced Subtitles but Flag is not set)
---------------------------------------------------------------

Subtitle 3 (without Forced Flag set)
Subtitle 6 (without Forced Flag set)
Subtitle 8 (without Forced Flag set)

Normal Subtitle Track contains all Subtitles (3,6,8)
Forced Subtitle Track contains no Subtitles (Track will be removed, because no subtitles with forced flag set found)