Closed Captioning causing hangup, how do I disable?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
wbeavis

Closed Captioning causing hangup, how do I disable?

Post by wbeavis »

I have about 3 DVD's that would not convert, the output would hang at like 3k. I discovered it was the Close Captioning. If I deselect Close Captioning subtitle track from the stuck track, the conversion works. Tried updating the ccextractor to latest, but same issue. If I leave it blank, I get an issue about not finding the ccextractor binary (I'm running Linux Mint 18). Or, at least that was an issue in the past.

Just looking at the selection rules, I've not been able to decipher who to surgically remove just CC tracks (or lossy subtitle tracks). Admittedly, I am very new to the selection rules.

I have no need for these tracks (at the moment). So other than manually deselecting when I run into a problem (admittedly only 3 in the last month, but never in the year prior), is there an easy solution to auto deselect using rule OR to disable/skip CC process. Should blank setting work? Is there a dummy binary I can point to that makes makemkv happy but ultimate does nothing?

Thanks for any help,
Bill
Squirre1

Re: Closed Captioning causing hangup, how do I disable?

Post by Squirre1 »

I was wondering the same thing as I have recently ran into the same issue...

I have tried modifying the default selection criteria...

-sel:havelossless
-sel:lossy <- this remove the audio selection
-sel:(subtitle&lossy)

But none of these are working to remove the default selected CC -> Text (Lossy Conversion)

Sure, I can uncheck the box, but if there was a way to do it in the default selection/automated fashion, that would be awesome..

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks...
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

There is no option to disable it over the profile settings. You must expand the title and descelect the CC subtitle track.
Good Luck :)

Post by yayameen »

If you have purchased MakeMKV, you can install multiple versions at once. I use version 1.12.2 for movies on DVD, especially older movies. I use the newest version for everything else. It is not likely that DVD compatibility is going to change anytime soon. Closed captioning is most useful for TV shows. For movies, the CC either doesn't exist or is poor quality compared to the subtitles anyway.