Problem With Subtitle Burn-In

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Damundai

Problem With Subtitle Burn-In

Post by Damundai »

I have been trying all day, to no avail, to burn in subtitles for Hotel Mumbai. Here is my current process:

1. RIP Blu-Ray to hard drive (I've tried full disc and the movie (MKV file) specifically).
2. Import into Handbrake and under "Subtitles" tab, I have tried Foreign Audio Scan, Track 1 (English), and track 4 (English), all with the "Burn-In" option selected. I have even tried downloading SRT files and importing them, but subtitles have failed to be displayed (burned in) In the resulting output file.

This is getting very frustrating and i am hoping someone may know what i am missing or doing wrong, as i desperately want to add this movie to my digital backup files.

Thanks for any help you might give!!

Damundai
Woodstock

Re: Problem With Subtitle Burn-In

Post by Woodstock »

I use handbrake on BD rips all the time... Have several anime series queued up waiting to process right now. I know that it will burn ONE subtitle track in, if it is selected. Burn-in is the only way BD subtitles can be included in MP4 files. MKV files support BD subtitles without burning them in.

However, this isn't the handbrake support forum, and they have a template for getting help that starts with providing logs from the encode that didn't do what you think it should do.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
headhunter01

Re: Problem With Subtitle Burn-In

Post by headhunter01 »

I had the same problem...Dealt with it for days trying all options...Then it hit me...I opened the disk in makemkv...Select the 2nd English subtitles option only...the one under hindi...deselect the forced only radio button...And there you have the English subs for this movie...Guess it doesn't have a forced flag? Then back it up with whatever program you use..