[Feature Request] Retry writing data on network errors

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
mgutt

[Feature Request] Retry writing data on network errors

Post by mgutt »

My destination path is a NAS and if I change some SMB settings or the ethernet cabling, it directly interrupts the ripping process:
Error 'OS error - Unerwarteter Netzwerkfehler' occurred while writing data to 'M:/FilmeMakeMKV/Film (2016)/Film (2016) FSK16 DE EN IMDB7.3.mkv' at offset '2382364672'
Failed to save title 1 to file M:/FilmeMakeMKV/Film (2016)/Film (2016) FSK16 DE EN IMDB7.3.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
It would be nice if MakeMKV retries on network errors (maybe 3 times after 30 seconds wait time or similar).
Woodstock

Re: [Feature Request] Retry writing data on network errors

Post by Woodstock »

The operating system should be doing the re-tries. But, if the retry count is exceeded, the OS will USUALLY close the resource as invalid.

I've been fighting glitches where the operating system thinks a resource went away for about 20 years. I have one machine where different processes get different responses from accessing the same network resource. One or two will freeze because the network resource is gone, while three others will continue using the resource. Always have to restart the processes, because they are no longer allowed access.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mgutt

Post by mgutt »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:58 am
The operating system should be doing the re-tries. But, if the retry count is exceeded, the OS will USUALLY close the resource as invalid.
Sadly it does not retry. I updated one user smb share setting on my unraid server and this causes the smb service to restart. Exactly in the same moment when I press "Apply" all four MakeMKV windows interrupt ripping.

I asked Unraid for adding a warning message, but finally this does not really solve my issue:
https://forums.unraid.net/topic/91476-w ... ent-848256
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Ah, the old "restart the server" ploy... And the fact that Samba won't add or edit a share without a reload.

It's been so long since I had an NT machine as a file server that I can't remember if changing shares kills connections there. In any case, the file(s) were closed by Windows immediately, leaving them in an unusable state. Not much that can be done about that on the application end.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mgutt

Post by mgutt »

Ok :|