Automatically deselect certain titles based on title comment?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
media

Automatically deselect certain titles based on title comment?

Post by media »

Is there a way to automatically deselect certain titles based on the title comment value? Preferably via regex? For instance, I find titles with these comment patterns generally useless:

/\bCopyright\b/
/\bDisclaimer\b/
/\bMENU\b/
/\bAGE\b/
/^India.*(Certificate|Warning)/
d00zah

Re: Automatically deselect certain titles based on title comment?

Post by d00zah »

Most of those you mention are of very brief duration. Have you tried playing with "Minimum title length (seconds)" value on the 'Video' prefs tab? Just another approach.
media

Post by media »

d00zah wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:09 pm
Most of those you mention are of very brief duration. Have you tried playing with "Minimum title length (seconds)" value on the 'Video' prefs tab? Just another approach.
I have, but this option some times skips titles I want. For example, some photo galleries are demuxed at 1 fps.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

I am unaware of any current 'auto' selection method other than...

- by language
- by duration

Since these are so small, just rip everything & discarding what you don't want. You'd probably spend more time examining/determining what to not rip... IMO.
media

Post by media »

d00zah wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:31 pm
Since these are so small, just rip everything & discarding what you don't want. You'd probably spend more time examining/determining what to not rip... IMO.
That's what I do right now, but why create hundreds of files only to delete them when a simple feature can be added to avoid this?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

"Simple feature" as decided by whom?

Regular expressions are not particularly simple, as evidenced by how hard the programmers who work for me try to avoid them, and how often I have to fix them for them. Just the macro substitution that Mike put in MakeMKV file naming requires extensive explanation (which he hasn't always given.... but that's another story).

Determining what needs to be in the regex... How long did it take you to determine which meta data contained what you wanted to filter by, and what values would work? Your last regex seems to even be country-specific.

Just how many regular expression "slots" would be "enough" to be "useful"? You've given 5 examples. Someone well-versed in regex could make it one regex, but I doubt that applies to most people who might decide they need it.

Personally, I don't have any "skin in the game" as far as programming such a feature; that's on Mike. Others might question it if Mike prioritized something like this over, say, getting LibreDrive to work with some of the currently-unsupported manufacturers.

But, because of my actual paying job, I'm in the habit of asking people to focus their feature requests, because it is far to easy to implement what is ASKED FOR, rather than WHAT IS REALLY NEEDED.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
media

Post by media »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:57 pm
"Simple feature" as decided by whom?

Regular expressions are not particularly simple, as evidenced by how hard the programmers who work for me try to avoid them, and how often I have to fix them for them. Just the macro substitution that Mike put in MakeMKV file naming requires extensive explanation (which he hasn't always given.... but that's another story).
Simple, as decided by any professional programmer? Most languages I know of already have a built-in regex facility, and those that don't likely have open source libraries that can be used. I know of no programmers that work to avoid them. When their functionality is needed, there is no simpler alternative.
Woodstock wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:57 pm
Determining what needs to be in the regex... How long did it take you to determine which meta data contained what you wanted to filter by, and what values would work? Your last regex seems to even be country-specific.

Just how many regular expression "slots" would be "enough" to be "useful"? You've given 5 examples. Someone well-versed in regex could make it one regex, but I doubt that applies to most people who might decide they need it.

Personally, I don't have any "skin in the game" as far as programming such a feature; that's on Mike. Others might question it if Mike prioritized something like this over, say, getting LibreDrive to work with some of the currently-unsupported manufacturers.

But, because of my actual paying job, I'm in the habit of asking people to focus their feature requests, because it is far to easy to implement what is ASKED FOR, rather than WHAT IS REALLY NEEDED.
Yes, you're right, the 5 examples I provided could be merged into one, and one field is all that's needed then. It doesn't take someone "well-versed in regex" to do so. On the other hand, it also shouldn't be difficult to take a list of patterns either.