Container Libremode Troubleshooting

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
j-miah7

Container Libremode Troubleshooting

Post by j-miah7 »

I had a MD-8107, reflashed to allow libremode. After a couple of years, it failed on me. I repurchase the same drive. I flashed it with BRU40N v1.03 Mk firmware. Everything seemed to work fine until I tried a UHD. The container will not rip a UHD disc. It fails to go into libre mode and I get the following errors:

"SCSI Error-Illegal Request: Copy Protection Key Exchange Failure - Key not Present"
"Can't read AACS VID from disc-most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked." "
"LibreDrive compatible drive is required" message

There have been a number of changes since the last time I ripped a UHD and returning to that baseline is difficult to say the least.

I have tried the following troubleshooting efforts:

1. I have been able to rip UHDs when the drive is connected to my PC, so I do not believe there is a defect with the drive
2. I have attached a different drive (MD-8107 with v1.04) to my QNAP server (linux base) and I get the same results.
3. I have ran the container as the root user to eliminate permission issues, but I'm not an expert therefore it is possible that I have overlooked something.
4. I have used earlier versions of the container and I still get the same problem.
5. I have reached out to the developer and right now it doesn't seem like we have any real leads. She has been very helpful and her container have worked perfectly in the past.
6. Both the server and my PC detect the drive as libre enable, patch with microcode access re-enabled. I have tried copying the _private_data folder over to the container and it has made no difference.
7. I have tied multiple UHD, including ones I've ripped in the past.
8. The most recent QNAP firmware did something to the drivers that no longer provide the correct access to the drive.

Some theories
1. The container requires both /dev/srx and /dev/sry to be passthrough to the container. SGY is detected by the container and application fine. SR0 is available in the environment; however, it is not associated to SGY to the application. It doesn't seem like the application "detects" it.

2. My original drive was flashed with version 1.01. I wonder if this would make a difference.

3. An inability to get the HK_data. I did get a failure to download HK_data (but not SDF). I know there are issues with getting access to the website. I do get an error when trying to access the link on the forum following that issue. However, I don't have the issue on the PC. I did not install MakeMKV on my PC until recently when I couldn't rip UHDs.

I would appreciate any input you can provide especially any insight to the following
1. How does MakeMKV detect drive on linux?
2. Are there any users with a setup with QNAP, a MakeMKV container, and a usb uhd friendly drive that can confirm ripping UHD is feasible?
Billycar11

Re: Container Libremode Troubleshooting

Post by Billycar11 »

Reflash to BU40N 1.0 from my de pack and see if it works
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
j-miah7

Post by j-miah7 »

This fixed the issue. Out of curiosity why do the MK version not work? Thanks for your help.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

j-miah7 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:22 am
This fixed the issue. Out of curiosity why do the MK version not work? Thanks for your help.
It's a bug on Linux version on libredrive drive I will report it
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
ghostserverd

Post by ghostserverd »

Aha! I found this thread after running into the same behavior with a BP50NB40 flashed (first to BP50NB40-NB50-1.03MK and then) to BP60NB10 1.02MK.

Seems to work fine on my windows machine (I was able to rip a UHD Bluray I own) but on linux (also in a container fwiw) I get that AACS certificate error. Interestingly, it seems like I can still load the disk and rip a track once (even after all of the errors), but then if I try again (or use a different disk) it actually fails to read and won't let me rip.

Is there an alternative firmware I should use that is available for this drive model?

Thanks for any help here!

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/sr0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BP60NB10
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: <idk is this sensitive?>
Firmware date: 2120-05-07 09:35
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Disc Information
Label: DUNE
Timestamp: 2021-11-18 12:23:46
Protection: AACS2.0/C v76
Data capacity: 90.66 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM UHD
Number of layers: 3
Bus encryption flags: 80
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

ghostserverd wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:09 am
Aha! I found this thread after running into the same behavior with a BP50NB40 flashed (first to BP50NB40-NB50-1.03MK and then) to BP60NB10 1.02MK.

Seems to work fine on my windows machine (I was able to rip a UHD Bluray I own) but on linux (also in a container fwiw) I get that AACS certificate error. Interestingly, it seems like I can still load the disk and rip a track once (even after all of the errors), but then if I try again (or use a different disk) it actually fails to read and won't let me rip.

Is there an alternative firmware I should use that is available for this drive model?

Thanks for any help here!

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/sr0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BP60NB10
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: <idk is this sensitive?>
Firmware date: 2120-05-07 09:35
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Disc Information
Label: DUNE
Timestamp: 2021-11-18 12:23:46
Protection: AACS2.0/C v76
Data capacity: 90.66 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM UHD
Number of layers: 3
Bus encryption flags: 80
You can also go to 1.00 bu40n
ghostserverd

Post by ghostserverd »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:51 pm
Awesome thanks. I'll give that a shot. Sorry I have a bunch of questions now.

Is there any downside to downgrading to that firmware in terms of read speed or AACS version supported or triple-layer support?

Is it a one-way street? Or could I flash back to "BP60NB10 1.02MK" if necessary?

And is the DE pack the one linked in this comment?

viewtopic.php?p=70284#p70284

Would it be the file named "DE_LG BU40N_1.00.bin" or the one named "DE_flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BU40N_BU10.bin" to downgrade?

And can I just use the same "Martys SDF GUI" tool I used for the original flash?

Thanks again for your help.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

ghostserverd wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:27 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:51 pm
Awesome thanks. I'll give that a shot. Sorry I have a bunch of questions now.

Is there any downside to downgrading to that firmware in terms of read speed or AACS version supported or triple-layer support?

Is it a one-way street? Or could I flash back to "BP60NB10 1.02MK" if necessary?

And is the DE pack the one linked in this comment?

viewtopic.php?p=70284#p70284

Would it be the file named "DE_LG BU40N_1.00.bin" or the one named "DE_flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BU40N_BU10.bin" to downgrade?

And can I just use the same "Martys SDF GUI" tool I used for the original flash?

Thanks again for your help.
no if anything bu40n 1.00 is better
you can go back
yes thats the correct one
DE_LG BU40N_1.00.bin
you can
ghostserverd

Post by ghostserverd »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:43 pm
you can go back
DE_LG BU40N_1.00.bin
you can
Awesome thanks for confirming.

The SDFtool Flasher doesn't seem to want to write the "DE_LG BU40N_1.00.bin" firmware to the drive. It doesn't give any errors, and it says it was successful. But after it's done, when I unplug the drive and plug it back in, it's still recognized as a "BP60NB10 1.02" in the SDFTool and MakeMKV.

Do I need to use the RECOVER mode with Marty's too and select the current "BP60NB10 1.02-MK" firmware that I have flashed on there now as the original?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

ghostserverd wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:13 am
Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:43 pm
you can go back
DE_LG BU40N_1.00.bin
you can
Awesome thanks for confirming.

The SDFtool Flasher doesn't seem to want to write the "DE_LG BU40N_1.00.bin" firmware to the drive. It doesn't give any errors, and it says it was successful. But after it's done, when I unplug the drive and plug it back in, it's still recognized as a "BP60NB10 1.02" in the SDFTool and MakeMKV.

Do I need to use the RECOVER mode with Marty's too and select the current "BP60NB10 1.02-MK" firmware that I have flashed on there now as the original?
Yes.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
ghostserverd

Post by ghostserverd »

Awesome recovering to BU40N 1.0 worked. Thanks MartyMcNuts. And thank you Billycar. Hooked back up to the linux box and loaded that disk with no more AACS errors.

For whoever comes after me and finds this thread, here are instructions for cross-flashing a [BP50NB40 SVC NB50] flashed with [BP60NB10 1.02MK] (two-step process described in the Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide) to [BU40N 1.0] for better compatibility with linux.
  • Download the SDFtool flasher (you should have it already from your previous flashing exploits, but get it again if you deleted it)
  • Plug in the drive and launch SDFtool
  • Select your drive from the dropdown
  • Switch from the WRITE Firmware option to the RECOVER Drive option
  • It will open a file picker; choose the CURRENT firmware you have flashed (probably something like "The all you need firmware pack\LG slim USB BP60NB10\HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP60NB10-1.02-NM00800-212005070935.bin")
  • Click the dropdown to select a Firmware to Write
  • Choose the NEW firmware to flash (probably something like "Downgrade Enabled Firmware V.2\DE_LG BU40N_1.00.bin")
  • Click start and wait for it to flash.