Sharing disk signatures? Sharing other data?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
zzantozz

Sharing disk signatures? Sharing other data?

Post by zzantozz »

Like many of you, I have a home-grown, automated ripping project for transcoding my physical library to digital. From time to time, I come across another one of your projects, like https://github.com/demonfoo/autorip, and I'm impressed at how much thought and effort has obviously gone into it, as well as at how many things you've thought of doing that I haven't. It makes me wonder whether there's any room for collaboration.

A really common problem I think we all share is figuring out what a disk is and what's on it. Is it a movie? A TV show? What special features are there? Which is the correct main movie title? What TV episodes are on it? I wonder if there's a way to establish a "signature" for a disk that would solve the first part of the problem: what is this disk? If there were a way to start building a shared database of such signatures, then answering the other questions would have a common starting point.

Is there such a database out there that I haven't come across? Does anyone think it's worth trying to build? What problems would we encounter with it? What other things might be shareable between these projects?
Sunoo

Re: Sharing disk signatures? Sharing other data?

Post by Sunoo »

zzantozz

Re: Sharing disk signatures? Sharing other data?

Post by zzantozz »

Wow, yeah. That looks a lot like what I'm thinking of, as far as the data goes. There isn't much there in terms of vision or how the data will/can be used, though.