Any benefit to keeping discatt.dat file?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Rojma

Any benefit to keeping discatt.dat file?

Post by Rojma »

I noticed that when using the Backup option, if you choose not to decrypt files, the backup creates a file called discatt.dat at the root of the backup. If you choose to decrypt files, then discatt.dat isn't created. I imagine this file has something like the decryption key in it. Is there any benefit in starting an encrypted backup, waiting for the discatt.dat file to be created, stopping the backup, copying the discatt.dat file out and saving it, and then doing a decrypted backup? Just thinking for possible future use for something. Just not quite sure for what.
Woodstock

Re: Any benefit to keeping discatt.dat file?

Post by Woodstock »

It mainly is an issue if you want to decrypt a disk without the disk present. If you've already done the decryption, it isn't needed, but, SOMETIMES, you can't do it immediately.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Rojma

Post by Rojma »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:21 am
It mainly is an issue if you want to decrypt a disk without the disk present. If you've already done the decryption, it isn't needed, but, SOMETIMES, you can't do it immediately.
Thanks for the reply. Can you clarify what it is that you can't do immediately?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

for UHD discs that dont have a key available yet you will need the .dat file until after you rerun it with a key
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Rojma

Post by Rojma »

Ah got you. Thanks.