KEYDB.cfg, Disc Identifiers and MakeMKV dumps

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
whiterose59

KEYDB.cfg, Disc Identifiers and MakeMKV dumps

Post by whiterose59 »

Hey all,

while I've been using MakeMKV happily for years already, I've never really looked into the details and technicalities connected with it and only roughly have an idea of how AACS works.

I've already tried to find answers to the questions posted below, but was not successful. Any help is appreciated :)

Could someone please explain to me (or point me to an already existing explanation):
  • How I can get "the unique identifier" from a disc I own, if there is any standardized one. (Not the decryption key) I would like to be able to look up if a particular disc I own is in KEYDB.cfg, for example. Or distinguish different title releases that would seem identical otherwise.
  • What the "key" at the end of MakeMKV AACS dump filenames is specifically, and
  • Where I can get this key from a disc I own, without getting an AACS dump generated.
Or if anyone can point me to a general resource of information or official specification sheet about AACS or the alike, that would also be greatly appreciated. I have issues finding anything about AACS and BluRay specs that goes into any detail.

Thanks for any help!
georgesgiralt

Re: KEYDB.cfg, Disc Identifiers and MakeMKV dumps

Post by georgesgiralt »

Hello,
Even if I'm not a huge user of MakeMKV, I was intrigued by your post.
I do not have any KEY.cfg file (nor KEY.CFG or key.cfg) file on my computer.
I do not know if this comes from the fact that I run this app under Liunux/Ubuntu or if this file is not needed by MakeMKV ?
Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in to explain what this file is and it's uses ?
Have a nice day
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

whiterose59 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:15 pm
Hey all,

while I've been using MakeMKV happily for years already, I've never really looked into the details and technicalities connected with it and only roughly have an idea of how AACS works.

I've already tried to find answers to the questions posted below, but was not successful. Any help is appreciated :)

Could someone please explain to me (or point me to an already existing explanation):
  • How I can get "the unique identifier" from a disc I own, if there is any standardized one. (Not the decryption key) I would like to be able to look up if a particular disc I own is in KEYDB.cfg, for example. Or distinguish different title releases that would seem identical otherwise.
  • What the "key" at the end of MakeMKV AACS dump filenames is specifically, and
  • Where I can get this key from a disc I own, without getting an AACS dump generated.
Or if anyone can point me to a general resource of information or official specification sheet about AACS or the alike, that would also be greatly appreciated. I have issues finding anything about AACS and BluRay specs that goes into any detail.

Thanks for any help!
Google doom9 forum. Look under General Decrypting.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

The disc ID in keydb.cfg is a sha1 hash of the unit_key_ro.inf file in the aacs directory. As for how makemkv generates their id that gets added to the tgz dump, I've no idea. If you want to learn about aacs...

https://aacsla.com/aacs-specifications/

Start reading.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk