Changing Subtitle Output Setting

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
jmos1277

Changing Subtitle Output Setting

Post by jmos1277 »

Mike, as you mentioned in your original post regarding conversion profiles, subtitles are a topic of debate.
For as long as I have used MakeMKV (going back to 1.5.8ish), the first subtitle track has always had the default track flag set to "yes". I have long hoped that I could change that behavior some day and it appears that day may have come.

What changes can I make in my profile file to change that behavior? For example, if I want the default track flag to get set to "no". I have read these forums but don't really see a method to do this. It would seems it should now be possible given your comments from your original post on profiles.

If it's not yet possible, I guess I will have to continue waiting until it is.
firionicable

Re: Changing Subtitle Output Setting

Post by firionicable »

I'm one of those waiting for this thing to happen. Same with you, I was creating some way to have this change, but to no avail. I am still not sure if it is already available. I hope this matter will be answered soon.Image
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Nope, not implemented yet. We still need to use the additional step to set the flag to 'no' in MKVToolnix's header editor.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Not yet :( . Should be in the next version, 1.7.4
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

I know, I keep bugging you but please also include compressed subs.
brewman

Post by brewman »

+1 on adding compressed PGS subs to bluray wrapped mkv
samtoy

Post by samtoy »

Chetwood wrote:I know, I keep bugging you but please also include compressed subs.
Let's hope this doesn't break anything regarding hardware compatabilty... :?
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

samtoy wrote:
Chetwood wrote:I know, I keep bugging you but please also include compressed subs.
Let's hope this doesn't break anything regarding hardware compatabilty... :?
Well, mkvmerge (which, in a way, sort of defines the MKV standard) does this by default. And it will fix displaying of PGS subs on Western Digital's devices.
cobrien84

Post by cobrien84 »

mike admin wrote:Not yet :( . Should be in the next version, 1.7.4
As the luckiest guy in the world (escaping an "OCPD Corner and bringing my 14-year old daughter out from similar challenges) I'll go on record saying I REALLY look forward to the ability to "Default subtitles OFF," as it's one of the reasons I waiting to start a "disposable" Movie Library.

One other point (that I wouldn't want holding up 1.74) is the ONE benefit a recovering picky person such as myself gets out of using AnyDVD as a "driver" - applying a degree of "transparency" to titles. This is a GREAT feature if you're using a projector - so please consider it for the "future."
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Transparency?
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Chetwood wrote:Transparency?
AnyDVD has an option to apply some degree of transparency to subtitles, IIRC.
cobrien84

Post by cobrien84 »

Romansh wrote:
Chetwood wrote:Transparency?
AnyDVD has an option to apply some degree of transparency to subtitles, IIRC.
Until 1.74 is released (with the "promise" of a way to set Subtitles OFF by default) I've been "pre-ripping" our collection of movies with AnyDVD - setting Subtitle Transparency to "7". While the ability to default Subtitles OFF is the HIGHEST PRIORITY, the ability to apply a degree of transparency would likely ELIMINATE my "choice" of using AnyDVD for either "pre-processing" or as a "driver."
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Why set transparency if you can set the sub flag from 'default' to 'no' with MKVToolnix's header editor without remuxing?
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Chetwood wrote:Why set transparency if you can set the sub flag from 'default' to 'no' with MKVToolnix's header editor without remuxing?
Not the same purpose.
cobrien84

Post by cobrien84 »

mike admin wrote:Not yet :( . Should be in the next version, 1.7.4
Mike:

THRILLED to have found, downloaded and tried v1.7.4. Chagrined to find out that Subtitles STILL default to ON and there doesn't appear to be anything in the Preferences (or Revision History) that indicates otherwise is possible. While I expect I CAN find a way to do it with "other" software, I'd prefer to (PAY FOR a) MakeMKV that can "just do it." (Even if it was "HARDCODED" for Subtitles = OFF by DEFAULT, do you imagine that any other users would complain?)

Chuck

P.S. The ability to apply a degree of transparency to the Subtitles (this would "HAVE TO" be set in the preferences) might ELIMINATE the need to pair MakeMKV with AnyDVD in ANY way.