Changing Subtitle Output Setting

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Chetwood

Re: Changing Subtitle Output Setting

Post by Chetwood »

cobrien84 wrote:P.S. The ability to apply a degree of transparency to the Subtitles (this would "HAVE TO" be set in the preferences) might ELIMINATE the need to pair MakeMKV with AnyDVD in ANY way.
I still don't get this transparency thing. And I also think that this goes far beyond muxing/flag settings so it should not necessarily end on (the top of) Mike's priority list.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
cobrien84

Post by cobrien84 »

Chetwood wrote:
cobrien84 wrote:P.S. The ability to apply a degree of transparency to the Subtitles (this would "HAVE TO" be set in the preferences) might ELIMINATE the need to pair MakeMKV with AnyDVD in ANY way.
I still don't get this transparency thing. And I also think that this goes far beyond muxing/flag settings so it should not necessarily end on (the top of) Mike's priority list.
While some may consider it a subtle point, transparency is VERY nice when a subtitled film is being PROJECTED; it prevents opaque characters from dominating the screen. And while MakeMKV plays reasonably well with AnyDVD, it'd be GREAT if MakeMKV could stand COMPLETELY alone.
jmos1277

Post by jmos1277 »

mike admin wrote:Not yet :( . Should be in the next version, 1.7.4
So I'd like to reclaim my thread since it has apparently been hijacked with all of this talk about transparent subtitles. I'm not sure very many people would be interested in that feature.

Anyway, this is a question for Mike. You mentioned that changing the output settings for subtitles might be available in 1.7.4 ... which has now been released. Is this possible yet?

If so, is there any documentation on how to do this? I checked the original thread regarding profiles but didn't see any additions for 1.7.4. If this isn't yet possible, I will eagerly await version 1.7.5 or 1.7.6 or whatever version you may find the opportunity to include this feature.

Thanks for the great software.
cobrien84

Post by cobrien84 »

jmos1277 wrote:
So I'd like to reclaim my thread since it has apparently been hijacked with all of this talk about transparent subtitles. I'm not sure very many people would be interested in that feature.

Anyway, this is a question for Mike. You mentioned that changing the output settings for subtitles might be available in 1.7.4 ... which has now been released. Is this possible yet?

If so, is there any documentation on how to do this? I checked the original thread regarding profiles but didn't see any additions for 1.7.4. If this isn't yet possible, I will eagerly await version 1.7.5 or 1.7.6 or whatever version you may find the opportunity to include this feature.

As the (VERY fortunate) guy who hijacked the thread with "this talk of transparent subtitles," I want to apologize and say that the ability to default to an output setting of Subtitles = Off (even via "HARCODING") would be MY primary interest as well. Why? Because yesterday I used mkvmerge to remux a file purely for this reason and it seemed like a COMPLETE waste of time~! (PARTICULARLY when MakeMKV is so simple and well designed!)

All this talk of transparency is just my anal-retentive desire to save as much time and money as possible by eliminating AnyDVD from the workflow - but since AnyDVD is similar in quality to MakeMKV and seems to have minimal conflicts, this is TRULY a non-issue. So I'd AGAIN like to apologize to "jmos1277" for precipitating an ongoing conversation that's only loosely related, saying that I'll PATIENTLY (and eagerly) await version 1.7.5 (or 1.7.6) for a default of OFF.

Thanks for the GREAT software!
jmos1277

Post by jmos1277 »

cobrien84 wrote:
jmos1277 wrote:

As the (VERY fortunate) guy who hijacked the thread with "this talk of transparent subtitles," I want to apologize and say that the ability to default to an output setting of Subtitles = Off (even via "HARCODING") would be MY primary interest as well. Why? Because yesterday I used mkvmerge to remux a file purely for this reason and it seemed like a COMPLETE waste of time~! (PARTICULARLY when MakeMKV is so simple and well designed!)

All this talk of transparency is just my anal-retentive desire to save as much time and money as possible by eliminating AnyDVD from the workflow - but since AnyDVD is similar in quality to MakeMKV and seems to have minimal conflicts, this is TRULY a non-issue. So I'd AGAIN like to apologize to "jmos1277" for precipitating an ongoing conversation that's only loosely related, saying that I'll PATIENTLY (and eagerly) await version 1.7.5 (or 1.7.6) for a default of OFF.

Thanks for the GREAT software!

cobrien84, there is no reason to remux a complete video just to turn the subtitles off. You can simply use the header editor that's part of mkvtoolnix to turn the subs off.

Or even better, you can just run mkvpropedit from the command line. I have many Unix shell scripts make various modifications to MKV headers. Since I see you're a Windows user, these scripts won't help you very much. However, you can run mkvpropedit from the command line in Windows which would make disabling the subs take less than 1 second. Below is an example of how you might do this:

Code: Select all

mkvpropedit mkvFile.mkv --edit track:s1 --set flag-default=0
Good luck.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Using the header editor of course is a timesaver but setting the proper value in MakeMKV still would be best and eliminate a pointless additional step.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Chetwood wrote:Using the header editor of course is a timesaver but setting the proper value in MakeMKV still would be best and eliminate a pointless additional step.
This is done in 1.7.4 , please see update at http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 85&p=17397
cobrien84

Post by cobrien84 »

mike admin wrote:
Chetwood wrote:Using the header editor of course is a timesaver but setting the proper value in MakeMKV still would be best and eliminate a pointless additional step.
This is done in 1.7.4 , please see update at http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 85&p=17397
Mike:

Looking the topic you referenced with GREAT interest, I was particularly intrigued by the statement "Starting with version 1.7.3, the default selection string may be overridden in preferences, so there is no need to create a separate profile only to change default selection logic. The default selection rule in "my" installation is > "-sel:all,+sel:(favlang|nolang),-sel:(havemulti|havecore),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang"; I found it defined (as expected) in "default.mmcp.xml".

While I'm reasonably familiar with DOS, Windows, and Unix software, I'm FAR from "expert" in MakeMKV (or xml configuration files). I'm expecting the default SELECTION rule is NOT a simple way to affect the OUTPUT of MakeMKV; that I'll instead need to DUPLICATE the "default.mmcp.xml" file into the MakeMKV data directory with the addition of some portion of the following "block" as copied from "current profile XSD schema for versions 1.7.4 and above." My challenge (not knowing xml config files) is that I don't know how much or where it's entered?

Can you help? Thanks (again) for the GREAT software!

Chuck
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="name" type="localizedString" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
<xs:element name="mkvSettings">
<xs:attribute name="ignoreForcedSubtitlesFlag" type="xs:boolean" use="optional" default="true" />
<xs:attribute name="useISO639Type2T" type="xs:boolean" use="optional" default="false" />
<xs:attribute name="setFirstAudioTrackAsDefault" type="xs:boolean" use="optional" default="true" />
<xs:attribute name="setFirstSubtitleTrackAsDefault" type="xs:boolean" use="optional" default="false" />
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
<xs:element name="profileSettings">
<xs:attribute name="app_DefaultSelectionString" type="xs:string" use="optional" />
</xs:element>
<xs:element name="outputSettings" type="outputSettingsType" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
<xs:element name="trackSettings" type="trackSettingsType" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
</xs:sequence>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jmos1277

Post by jmos1277 »

mike admin wrote:
Mike, thanks for the update. I took a look at the new additions and will test them out soon.
One comment I have is that the setFirstSubtitleTrackAsDefault attribute seems rather limited. It doesn't allow you to control any subtitle tracks beyond the first, nor does it allow you to set/remove the forced subtitle flags.

I would love to eventually see the ability to control all flags and attributes of ALL subtitle tracks for a given MKV output like setting the forced flag to true for all forced subtitle tracks. Maybe even set the "name" field of a forced track to include the fact that the track is forced.

Thanks again for the great and continued progress.
cobrien84

Post by cobrien84 »

mike admin wrote:
Mike:

While I apologize for the lengthy post I left earlier today, I'm STILL fighting my limited experience with xml config files as I attempt to "reconcile" the structure and contents of the "current profile XSD schema for versions 1.7.4 and above" with that of "Default.mmcp.xml." And while I LOVE a challenge, I can't help but think you might have some simple guidance or tell me where I can learn what I need to know. Regardless, thanks AGAIN for the GREAT software!

Chuck
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

mike admin wrote:This is done in 1.7.4
Weird, at each forum visit I check for new postings, apparently I missed this. Thanks for implementing. Now we only need compressed subs (since WD expectedly did not fix the WDTV firmware) and an option to call up another program once MakeMKV has finished (maybe call up an autoexec.bat from the program dir or something).
jmos1277 wrote:I would love to eventually see the ability to control all flags and attributes of ALL subtitle tracks for a given MKV output like setting the forced flag to true for all forced subtitle tracks. Maybe even set the "name" field of a forced track to include the fact that the track is forced.
Name as in title of a track? That's already possible with MakeMKV set to expert mode. Maybe even more but since there's no tooltip I'm not sure what

Met...age
Ord...ght

means.
jmos1277

Post by jmos1277 »

Chetwood wrote:
jmos1277 wrote:I would love to eventually see the ability to control all flags and attributes of ALL subtitle tracks for a given MKV output like setting the forced flag to true for all forced subtitle tracks. Maybe even set the "name" field of a forced track to include the fact that the track is forced.
Name as in title of a track? That's already possible with MakeMKV set to expert mode.
Thanks Chet. I already know that I can manually set the title of a subtitle track in expert mode. I was hoping for something a little more configurable and automated ... something like:
For all English subtitle tracks, name that track 'English'
For all forced English subtitle tracks, name that track 'English (forced)'

If there are multiple English audio track being output, then name them something like 'English (1)', 'English (2)', etc.

By default, MakeMKV doesn't currently fill in the 'name' of a subtitle track.

Of course, you might like to name your subtitle tracks differently, so it would be nice if the track name could be configurable.
jmos1277

Post by jmos1277 »

So I would like to play around with custom profiles for my subs, but I cannot seem to get my custom profile to show up.
I copy and pasted the default new 1.7.4 xsd schema (from here) into a file called profile1.mmcp.xml. I saved that into my MakeMKV data directory "C:\Users\username\.MakeMKV", but it doesn't show up as an option when I load MakeMKV.

What gives?
Any ideas?

UPDATE:
I see an error when I load MakeMKV that says:
"Profile Parsing error: profile name is mandatory"
"Failed to load conversion profile ..."

So, where do I put the profile name?
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

I simply renamed the original profile and copied mine over. Of course you have to verify this the next time you update cause there might have been changes to the profile syntax.