Conversion to WavPack

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
MI3Guy

Conversion to WavPack

Post by MI3Guy »

Is there any chance that an option could be added to convert audio to WavPack? While there might be some problems with larger streams (possibly 5.1 and up) due to the artificial maximum file size, it would be very helpful with some more obscure audio configurations such as 4.0 audio. FLAC interprets all 4.0 audio as 2F2R, but often it is actually 3F1R and WavPack supports this channel mapping.
mike admin

Re: Conversion to WavPack

Post by mike admin »

MI3Guy wrote:Is there any chance that an option could be added to convert audio to WavPack? While there might be some problems with larger streams (possibly 5.1 and up) due to the artificial maximum file size, it would be very helpful with some more obscure audio configurations such as 4.0 audio. FLAC interprets all 4.0 audio as 2F2R, but often it is actually 3F1R and WavPack supports this channel mapping.
You think too badly about MakeMKV. When converting to FLAC, MakeMKV inserts original channel layout mask into FLAC metadata and any software that checks for it ( madflac is the one ) should apply correct channel assignment.
MI3Guy

Post by MI3Guy »

Really? I wasn't even aware that could be done with flac? Is that the only program that supports it? I mostly use XBMC.
holunder2

Post by holunder2 »

MakeMKV inserts original channel layout mask into FLAC metadata
Hey, is this confirmed? And any player should recognize it? No madflac here, all my systems run Linux, VLC, GStreamer, XBMC.
trumpet205

Post by trumpet205 »

It doesn't work for me in LAV Audio decoder.

What I did instead is importing the FLAC using Audacity, then export it as FLAC 6.1 audio. It'll ask you how you want to map them, and any unmapped channel will be silent. So it is 4.0 wrapped in 6.1 audio.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

The next libavformat version should support the FLAC channel layout medatata, when present in raw FLAC streams or in Matroska CodecPrivate data.