PGS->VOBSUB
47%
Both are useless
44%

Total votes: 32

mike admin

If you had to choose

Post by mike admin »

If you had to choose between 2 features, which one would you want to see in MakeMKV?

1. On the fly audio transcoding to AAC (using Nero codec, on ALL platforms)
2. On the fly transcoding PGS->VOBSUB using bdsup2sub
crowfax

Re: If you had to choose

Post by crowfax »

Not that I think either are useless, clearly they both have their uses, but MakeMKV is what I use for archival. I don't need either option so I went for the 3rd choice.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

What crowfax said.

However, I would consider PGS to VOBSUB to be more interesting than the Nero AAC option.

SC
paulster

Post by paulster »

Crowfax hit the nail on the head for me.

The only subtitle thing I think would be useful for me would be for HD-DVDs where the subs could benefit from being converted to 'proper' PGS subs with bdsup2sub. At present I have to use eac3to to extract the subs from the original EVO files since eac3to can't extract MakeMKV's HD-DVD subs and then use bdsup2sub to convert them to Blu-ray format PGS subs.

Not that HD-DVD is a priority for anybody these days, but this is the one part of the process that currently has to be done outside of MakeMKV.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I voted for subtitle conversion, but that is more influenced by the fact that most of what I encode HAS subtitles, and I dislike the fact that I have to burn PGS subtitles in when I convert to MP4s right now. I so much prefer having the option to chose languages...

The audio is not a big issue for me.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BluFix

Post by BluFix »

Subtitle transcoding.
discoteca

Post by discoteca »

By adding bdsup2sub would you then be able to preview subtitles before making a mkv file?

The ablity to preview subtitles would be more useful then converting them to a different format so I could select the right subtitle track without trial and error.
osohardy

Post by osohardy »

subtitle transcoding please. PGS subs are a pain, especially on mac or if you don't want to burn them in via Handbrake or whatever and just want to remux the video to m4v. If you get them to vobsub I believe Subler can OCR them and no need to burn in. Also, there are multiple programs already that will automatically create an AAC audio track whether you transcode the video or just remux to m4v.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

osohardy wrote:PGS subs are a pain, especially on mac
PGS subs are part of the official BluRay standard. There's no reason not to support them, unless of course you are Apple. Tough luck.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
fryk.

Post by fryk. »

I vote for a MVC decoding option.
anomousny

Post by anomousny »

I went for "PGS->VOBSUB", because it includes "bdsup2sub", even if I don't want VOBSUB. What I really want is a preview for subtitles! This is the most needed feature for MakeMKV.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

And hard to code cause some flagged items might be at the end of the track so the whole file has to be scanned. To preview you could open the disc in PowerDVD and look at what streams are played back automatically.
anomousny

Post by anomousny »

I could live with a preview of subtitles that has to scan the movie first. I bought a 512GB SSD for remuxing and MakeMKV only takes about 2 minutes for one movie. This includes write operations. Scanning for subtitles should be even faster, because reading is faster than writing on SSDs.

The problem is that it is hard to compare subitles by pure playback. Sometimes there are only a few forced subtitles included. Using bdsup2sub to check the subtitles is much easier and shows the quantity and content of the subtitles at once, without searching for typical scenes (like "scolling text on a TV news broadcast", "signs", "foreign language parts") myself.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Of course, however you have to extract them which means the whole file has to be processed. When you watch the BD prior to ripping the forced sub is usually set automatically so all you have to do is check PowerDVD what track has been selected and it's most likely the forced sub. YMMV.
IrishPrince

Post by IrishPrince »

Without a doubt, the PGS subtitles are a pain. I would love to see that feature added.