Just want to pull LPCM

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
thirdmonster

Just want to pull LPCM

Post by thirdmonster »

I've been digging through the forums. I'm seeing posts that MakeMKV will convert HD audio to either FLAC or LPCM. I do not see the option for LPCM. When I turn on advanced I do see FLAC, but that isn't what I want. I just want to make an MKV file where the audio is pulled out and converted to a raw LPCM .wav file. Is this possible? Is there something I'm missing? Do I need to include a custom profile? Please help. Thanks!
thirdmonster

Re: Just want to pull LPCM

Post by thirdmonster »

You know what? Skip it. I pulled the FLAC yesterday. Did a bunch of research, including a conversation with a sound designer buddy of mine. And FLAC is pretty awesome. Never mind. I don't think I'll need LPCM moving forward. Unless there's something I should know about.

Cheers!
paulster

Post by paulster »

No, FLAC is where you want to be. Completely lossless so the quality is identical to LPCM, plus it has the advantage that channel assignments are stored in the FLAC metadata which tells the player what the correct channel order is rather than having it assumed in LPCM.

And you save a bit of disk space too!
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

paulster wrote:plus it has the advantage that channel assignments are stored in the FLAC metadata which tells the player what the correct channel order is rather than having it assumed in LPCM.
FLAC only stores the channel mask, not the order. The order is defined in the specification for a very limited number of layouts.
thirdmonster wrote:I just want to make an MKV file where the audio is pulled out and converted to a raw LPCM .wav file.
WAVE is a dangerous container to use as most software can't deal with such files when they exceed 4 GB in size (very easy with multichannel audio, especially 24-bit). FLAC doesn't have this issue.