Getting subtitles on foreign films

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
ipaulr

Getting subtitles on foreign films

Post by ipaulr »

Hello,

This is my first topic post. I did a search and found one relevant topic, but it did not solve my problem.

I dislike audio dubbing and am trying to get subtitles from a couple blu-ray disks: "Warriors of Heaven and Earth" and "True Legend". I get the Chinese language audio ok, but the subtitles are just not showing.

In MakeMKV on my MacBookPro, I have "English Subtitles" checked for the main track in two places, as "English Subtitles" shows up twice in MakeMKV. Both have a "forced" choice underneath, and I'm checking them as well.

I run the MakeMKV file through HandBrake to get a smaller MKV file size, and then play that back on my Samsung Note 2 with the Dice Player app. I try to turn on subtitles in that app, but they are just not there. Before running HandBrake, I look at the Subtitles choices, which start out as "None" in the drop down. The only choice there is "Foreign Audio Search - (Bitmap)" which I select, and I check "Forced Only an "Burned In".

It looks to me like MakeMKV is just not putting subtitles into the output MKV file, even though English Subtitles are checked.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
fryk.

Re: Getting subtitles on foreign films

Post by fryk. »

I don't know if Dice Player can handle subtitles from blu-ray/DVD. But I think, you should use the nightly build from Handbrake with better subtitle support.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

It looks to me like Handbrake is just not putting subtitles into the output MKV file, even though English Subtitles are checked. Whatever sub is checked is put into the MKV by MakeMKV, have you verified this before resizing the MKV with Handbrake? And why use MakeMKV when you want to compress anyway? Open the Bluray in Handbrake and compress to MKV.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
ipaulr

Post by ipaulr »

fryk. wrote:I don't know if Dice Player can handle subtitles from blu-ray/DVD. But I think, you should use the nightly build from Handbrake with better subtitle support.
The Dice Player is showing subtitles from movies I download through BitTorrent. I'll make another attempt, and check it out with other players. I have several on my Note 2. Good suggestion.

If all else fails, I will then check out the nighties. Looks like they may be a bit unstable?
ipaulr

Post by ipaulr »

Chetwood wrote:It looks to me like Handbrake is just not putting subtitles into the output MKV file, even though English Subtitles are checked. Whatever sub is checked is put into the MKV by MakeMKV, have you verified this before resizing the MKV with Handbrake? And why use MakeMKV when you want to compress anyway? Open the Bluray in Handbrake and compress to MKV.
I have made another attempt. VLC 2 plays the MakeMKV output file and confirms that subtitles are indeed there. Ran the Handbrake I had, and it loses subtitles. Tried the nightly build of HandBrake. It worked! Problem solved! :D :) :D

THANKS SO MIUCH!

I can't seem to use HandBrake directly on the DVD, perhaps because of copy protection. It says "invalid source".
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Yes, Handbrake is not a ripper, it's a transcoder. You need to use something else to remove the DRM, or prerip with MakeMKV.

SC
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

You could use DVDfab passkey or AnyDVD in the background to encode straight with Handbrake. Haven't tried this myself though.
ipaulr

Post by ipaulr »

Chetwood wrote:You could use DVDfab passkey or AnyDVD in the background to encode straight with Handbrake. Haven't tried this myself though.
Interesting. I have AnyDVDConverter so I may try this. Thanks!
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

ipaulr wrote:
Chetwood wrote:You could use DVDfab passkey or AnyDVD in the background to encode straight with Handbrake. Haven't tried this myself though.
Interesting. I have AnyDVDConverter so I may try this. Thanks!
AnyDVD != Any DVD Converter
newuser

Post by newuser »

Using a mac, I figured out how to get subtitles to show when ripping (at least some) foreign films in Handbrake. First export as MKV. Then import to Handbrake again and export to .mp4. This time, In the subtitle pulldown select English bitmapped. Check burned in. Uncheck everything else. This gives you a file export with no codec, like .mov .mp4, etc. It just says the title of the film. I then dragged it into Quicktime 7 and exported it as an .mp4 and the burned in titles are there.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Burned in subs are so over.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Too bad mp4 doesn't quite support VOBSUB or PGS.

SC
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Not even in private streams? Well, he can convert SRT to MPEG-4 Timed Text and still not have to burn them in.
fryk.

Post by fryk. »

MP4Box can mux vobsub to a MP4 file, but not PGS.