makemkvcon usage question

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
mrreload

makemkvcon usage question

Post by mrreload »

I have been using makemkvcon for a long time. Recently I noticed that there is some new functionality with profiles and audio conversion, etc.
Sorry, I don't visit the forums often:(
Is there an updated usage doc that shows how to use the new functions? Like what is posted here: /developers/usage.txt

Thanks in advance:)
ZombieHippie

Re: makemkvcon usage question

Post by ZombieHippie »

Bump. I am curious about this. I would consider a more descriptive title though. Like "Are there new functions of the CLI not included in the usage.txt?"
kevmitch

Post by kevmitch »

Unfortunately, this is not documented in usage.txt at this time. However, mikeadmin has posted about the --profile option to makemkvcon.

I have suggested a corresponding addition to the documentation here

For more information on how to use and create profiles see this.

Also, a lot of the settings will carry over from the preferences set in the GUI. For example if you set the default profile to FLAC in the GUI, then

Code: Select all

makemkvcon  mkv dev:/dev/sr0 all ~/folder
will rip the entire disc encoding to FLAC where appropriate (LPCM, DTS-HD, TrueHD, etc).

Note that for flac decoding of dtshd tracks, you must also "obtain" dtsdecoderdll.dll from arcsoft total media theatre similar to eac3to.
Donny Bahama

Post by Donny Bahama »

kevmitch wrote:Note that for flac decoding of dtshd tracks, you must also "obtain" dtsdecoderdll.dll
Once you've obtained it, where is it supposed to go? Information on this page says, "You need to obtain a copy of dtsdecoderdll.dll and set it's location in MakeMKV preferences on "Advanced" tab." but if you're using makemkvcon on a server with NO GUI, where do you put dtsdecoderdll.dll so that makemkvcon will find it automatically?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Into "MakeMKV data directory". Default on linux is ~/.MakeMKV