mmdtsdec wav file limit?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
kevmitch

mmdtsdec wav file limit?

Post by kevmitch »

It seems that mmdtsdec is only capable of outputting to a .wav file. However, my understanding is that .wav has a size limit. Does the file output by mmdtsdec compensate for this in any way?
Romansh

Re: mmdtsdec wav file limit?

Post by Romansh »

No. But some software (Sox, eac3to, etc.) can be told via an option to ignore the file duration in the WAV header and keep reading audio until the EOF is reached.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

kevmitch wrote:It seems that mmdtsdec is only capable of outputting to a .wav file.
No, it also can output to a localhost-bound TCP socket in a simple format that has no size limit. That's how it is used by MakeMKV. If you need it for a freeware tool then I'll gladly provide you with details and permission to freely redistribute mmdtsdec.
kevmitch

Post by kevmitch »

mike admin wrote:
kevmitch wrote:It seems that mmdtsdec is only capable of outputting to a .wav file.
No, it also can output to a localhost-bound TCP socket in a simple format that has no size limit. That's how it is used by MakeMKV. If you need it for a freeware tool then I'll gladly provide you with details and permission to freely redistribute mmdtsdec.
mmdtsdec promises looks to be the first lossless dts decoding solution on linux. It might be worth putting together a command line wrapper for it paried with ffmpeg for conversion to flac or whatever. If I released it, it would be either GPL or BSD licensed and free of charge.
kevmitch

Post by kevmitch »

I would be interested to see how the tcp socket method affects seekability. I've found that while the flac mkv generated by makemkv itself plays fine in vlc, the demuxed flac (using mkvextract) file can be kind of sketchy.
kevmitch

Post by kevmitch »

I take it back. My problems with the on-the-fly flac conversion must have been solved in recent versions of makemkv. I have verified that the flac stream it produces is bit-for-bit identical to that of eac3to with the same dtsdecoderdll.dll using a 5.1 and a 7.1 sample. I'll keep checking and repost if I find something that doesn't work.