Where are preferences set (makemkvcon) when you have no gui?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Donny Bahama

Where are preferences set (makemkvcon) when you have no gui?

Post by Donny Bahama »

I finally got a custom profile working - but things still aren't working. When I try to rip a disc with the default selection rule set to extrack lossless tracks only, I get the following error message:
MSG:4045,0,2,"Failed to load external DLL 'dtsdecoderdll.dll' as its path is not set in preferences, please see /dtshd for details"
But since this is an Ubuntu Server with no gui - and I'm only running makemkvcon, I can't set the path to this dll in preferences.
I've copied the dll to the same folder as my custom profile file.
I've copied it to my home directory.
I've copied it to /usr/share/MakeMKV/
I've copied it to /usr/local/bin/ (in PATH).

No matter where I put it, I continue to get the "Failed to load external DLL" message.
Do I need to create some kind of preferences file (using the GUI - on another machine) then copy that file onto my server somewhere?

Please help!
kevmitch

Re: Where are preferences set (makemkvcon) when you have no

Post by kevmitch »

I have only ever seen that message when I tried to decode dtshd to FLAC. Are you certain that you are using the profile you think you are and that profile is NOT requesting flac encoding? There is an undocumented makemkvcon flag "--profile" which may be of use here. On Linux, all settings are either contained in the profile .mmcp.xml file or in the global ~/.MakeMKV/settings.conf. If you do want to decode to flac, the latter is the place to specify the dtsdecoderdll.dll location.
kevmitch

Re: Where are preferences set (makemkvcon) when you have no

Post by kevmitch »

The relevant line in ~/.MakeMKV/settings.conf is

app_dtshddec = "path/to/dtsdecoderdll.dll"