Possible to add a timeout to the wget?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
lightsabersetc

Possible to add a timeout to the wget?

Post by lightsabersetc »

Hello,

I would like to request that a timeout be added to the HTTP retrievals that are performed for license checking. During times of website outages, the lack of timeout causes stray makemkvcon and wget processes that do not release resources until makemkv.com comes back up. Below is what I see in my ps aux

root 6385 0.0 0.0 30944 2004 pts/1 SN 16:25 0:00 /usr/bin/wget -q -O - -U MakeMKV/v1.8.10/linux(x64-release) /makemkv.pad.gz?a=7
root 6386 0.0 0.0 30944 2004 pts/1 SN 16:25 0:00 /usr/bin/wget -q -O - -U MakeMKV/v1.8.10/linux(x64-release) /keyinfo.txt.gz?a=7

Adding a `-T 20` to the command would still allow plenty of time for the site to respond IMO

Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: Possible to add a timeout to the wget?

Post by Woodstock »

Those requests aren't for license checking - they're to see if a new version has been released. You can disable them by going to Tools->General, and unchecking the box "Allow contacting web server for updates".

IF YOU THEN ENCOUNTER A DISK MakeMKV HAS A PROBLEM WITH, you can re-enable the update check, which will allow MakeMKV check for any SVQ files that fix the particular disk you are having problems with.

The server Mike uses is located in Ukraine, so the things going on in that country can affect site availability, unfortunately.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
lightsabersetc

Re: Possible to add a timeout to the wget?

Post by lightsabersetc »

Awesome, thanks for the clarification Woodstock! I didn't realize that the server is hosted in Ukraine, that definitely sheds light on the recent outages.

I would love to keep the automatic updates enabled, but this poses somewhat of an issue with my headless server. I'll go ahead and disable them, but the timeout still may be a good thing to add in at some point? Just thinking aloud here, I'll probably just end up writing a script to update everything for me anyways ;)