Only converting one track.

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
jlc61

Only converting one track.

Post by jlc61 »

I am converting a series of TV show on DVD. Many tracks have 5.1 audio as well as a stereo track, which is director or star commentary, that I want to exclude; mainly since my mkv -> m4v conversion result in the dialogue and commentary.

I've tried:
-sel:all,-sel:subtitle,+sel:(audio&(eng)),-sel(audio&stereo),-sel:(havemulti|havecore),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang
-sel:all,-sel:subtitle,+sel:(audio&(eng)),-sel(audio(stereo)),-sel:(havemulti|havecore),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang

neither of which work. The 5.1 track is the primary track (it appears 1st in the list); is there a way to set the parameters so that only that track gets converted?
ndjamena

Re: Only converting one track.

Post by ndjamena »

for one thing -sel:all makes -sel:subtitles redundant. -sel(audio&stereo) makes ,-sel:(havemulti) redundant (or is it the other way around).

Have you tried:

Code: Select all

-sel:all, +sel:(multi&eng), -sel:havecore
other than that there's

N           - matches if Nth (or bigger) track of the same type and language
which I can't seem to get to work, maybe you'll have better luck. I have a feeling the track selection is broken.

-edit- By the way, you need to edit the default selection rule in the preferences menu since it overrides the conversion profile.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

jlc61 wrote:that I want to exclude; mainly since my mkv -> m4v conversion result in the dialogue and commentary.
When you make an MP4 you need to set all the audio tracks to the same 'group', then disable all but the primary track in that group, otherwise some players will play all audio tracks at the same time. You need to group subtitles too, but generally you disable them all unless you have a foreign language track.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

This is the kind of command line my batch generates to create MP4's:

MP4Box -ipod -add "D:\Doctor Who - 26x01 - Battlefield (1)\Video 1.h264:fps=25.000:delay=0:lang=en:name=AVC/H.264/MPEG4 Part 10 (25.000 fps):enable:group=1" -add "D:\Doctor Who - 26x01 - Battlefield (1)\Audio 1.m4a:delay=0:lang=eng:group=2:enable:name=English AAC(2.0)" -add "D:\Doctor Who - 26x01 - Battlefield (1)\Audio 2.m4a:delay=0:lang=eng:group=2:disable:name=Commentary AAC(2.0) - Sophie Aldred ('Ace'), Nicholas Courtney ('Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart'), Angela Bruce ('Bambera'), Ben Aaronovitch (Writer), Andrew Cartmel (Script Editor)"-add "D:\Doctor Who - 26x01 - Battlefield (1)\Audio 3.m4a:delay=0:lang=eng:group=2:disable:name=Music Only AAC(2.0)" -add "D:\Doctor Who - 26x01 - Battlefield (1)\Subtitle 1.srt:hdlr=sbtl:delay=0:lang=eng:group=1:disable:group=3:name=English" -add "D:\Doctor Who - 26x01 - Battlefield (1)\Subtitle 2.srt:hdlr=sbtl:delay=0:lang=eng:group=1:disable:group=3:name=Production Notes" -add "D:\Doctor Who - 26x01 - Battlefield (1)\Doctor Who - 26x01 - Battlefield (1).ttxt:chap" -chap "D:\Doctor Who - 26x01 - Battlefield (1)\Doctor Who - 26x01 - Battlefield (1).txt" -new "F:\iPhone\Doctor Who\Season 26\Doctor Who - 26x01 - Battlefield (1).mp4"
They work perfectly with iTunes and my iPhone.
jlc61

Post by jlc61 »

ndjamena wrote:for one thing -sel:all makes -sel:subtitles redundant. -sel(audio&stereo) makes ,-sel:(havemulti) redundant (or is it the other way around).

Have you tried:

-sel:all, +sel:(multi&eng), -sel:havecore[/quote]

Thanks. That worked perfectly.

[quote="ndjamena"]edit-  By the way, you need to edit the default selection rule in the preferences menu since it overrides the conversion profile.[/quote]

That's what I was doing. Is there a way to save the preferences as a profile so I can select it from the drop down?  Right now I use my clipboard manager to save setting sand cut and paste into the preferences.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Possibly, but I can't get it to work. It won't let me blank out the default selection in the preferences, and if I change it to nothing more than a weight change the settings in the profiles still refuse to take effect. I think the best you can do is go into the conversion profile and set a final default selection for every kind of output.

Now that I think about it, all this audio encoding business is probably why the default selection options don't work any more.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

jlc61 wrote:Is there a way to save the preferences as a profile so I can select it from the drop down?
Copy over the default.mmcp.xml from the MakeMKV folder to jlc61.mmcp.xml and change the name tag inside it accordingly.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<profile>
    <!-- profile name - Default -->
    <name lang="mogz">DVD51</name>

<!-- Common MKV flags -->
    <mkvSettings 
        ignoreForcedSubtitlesFlag="true"
        useISO639Type2T="false"
        setFirstAudioTrackAsDefault="true"
        setFirstSubtitleTrackAsDefault="false"
        setFirstForcedSubtitleTrackAsDefault="true"
        insertFirstChapter00IfMissing="true"
    />

<!-- Settings overridable in preferences -->
    <profileSettings
        app_DefaultSelectionString="-sel:all"
    />

<!-- Output formats currently supported by MakeMKV -->
    <outputSettings name="copy" outputFormat="directCopy">
        <description lang="eng">Copy track as is</description>
    </outputSettings>

<outputSettings name="lpcm" outputFormat="LPCM-raw">
        <description lang="eng">Save as raw LPCM</description>
    </outputSettings>

<outputSettings name="wavex" outputFormat="LPCM-wavex">
        <description lang="eng">Save as LPCM in WAV container</description>
    </outputSettings>

<outputSettings name="flac-best" outputFormat="FLAC">
        <description lang="eng">Save as FLAC (best compression)</description>
        <extraArgs>-compression_level 12</extraArgs>
    </outputSettings>

<outputSettings name="copyzlib" outputFormat="directCopy">
        <description lang="eng">Copy track as is (zlib compressed)</description>
        <mkvTrackSettings compression="zlib" compressionLevel="9" />
    </outputSettings>

<!-- Default rule - copy as is -->
    <trackSettings input="default">
        <output outputSettingsName="copy" 
                defaultSelection="-sel:all, +sel:multi*eng, -sel:havecore">
        </output>
    </trackSettings>

<!-- Save LPCM mono or stereo as raw LPCM -->
    <trackSettings input="LPCM-stereo">
        <output outputSettingsName="lpcm"
        </output>
    </trackSettings>

<!-- Put multi-channel LPCM into WAVEX container-->
    <trackSettings input="LPCM-multi">
        <output outputSettingsName="wavex"
        </output>
    </trackSettings>

</profile>
jlc61

Post by jlc61 »

Chetwood wrote:
jlc61 wrote:Is there a way to save the preferences as a profile so I can select it from the drop down?
Copy over the default.mmcp.xml from the MakeMKV folder to jlc61.mmcp.xml and change the name tag inside it accordingly.
Is that a Windows thing? I checked where MakeMKV stores its data (/Users/JLC/Library/MakeMKV) and there are no xml files tare nor does Spotlight find it. The settings.config has a Default setting setup and adding a second line with my new settings and changing Default to NoStereo had no effect on my choices for conversion in the drop down.

Thanks for your help,

Jim
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

/Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/Resources/default.mmcp.xml
jlc61

Post by jlc61 »

Romansh wrote:

/Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/Resources/default.mmcp.xml
Thanks for your help.

Got it to work.

One more question: What flag do I need to set to turn on the DD->ACC conversion in the ACC profile? It shows the option but none are checked if I elect the ACC profile form the dropdown.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

The AAC profile down-mixes surround AC3 to stereo, so if you're using the selection profile in this thread it's going to deselect them. You can either alter the profile to NOT downmix (I assume MakeMKV won't mind) or you can do this:
<trackSettings input="AC3-multi">
<output outputSettingsName="copy"
defaultSelection="$app_DefaultSelectionString,-sel:all">
</output>
<output outputSettingsName="aac"
defaultSelection="$app_DefaultSelectionString,+sel:all"
audioMix="stereo16">
</output>
</trackSettings>