Splitting titles from the end

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
TolkienBard

Splitting titles from the end

Post by TolkienBard »

So, here I am, happy to finally be done adding our 30 second intro to all of our files for the streaming classroom. It only took roughly 9 days of letting the PC just run through using MKVMerge. So, then we loaded up the first and played it, but, no introduction. The run-time said it should be there though. Alas, someone (probably me) failed to pay careful enough attention and appended the intro to the end of all the files instead of appending all the files to the intro.

So, I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with splitting/merging mkv files and if so, is there an easy way to go through and split after (before) duration, registering from the end of the file instead of the beginning?
ndjamena

Re: Splitting titles from the end

Post by ndjamena »

Since you know the exact length of the intro, it shouldn't be hard to write a batch (or whatever) that uses FFPROBE or MEDIAINFO to get the exact file length of the videos then, after subtracting the intro length, split using MKVMERGE.

After that it's just a matter of re-appending the intro in the right place. (you could do both steps at the same time.)