Two forced Subtitles

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
TooOp

Two forced Subtitles

Post by TooOp »

Hey,

I tried to remux this

As you see there are two "nur erzwungene" which means "only forced".

I tried it with selecting only one "only forced" but that didn't work.
It worked with selecting them both as shown in the screenshot.

My question: Is that normal?
Woodstock

Re: Two forced Subtitles

Post by Woodstock »

You're confused over the terminology, that's all.

The checkbox is telling MakeMKV to create a subtitle track that contains only the subtitles from the selected track that are tagged as "forced". Two tracks will be put into the MKV file for each subtitle track (4 total in this case), one containing everything in the track, the other having only the "forced" subtitles. If, after extraction is complete, the "forced" track is empty, it will be deleted.

The use of the forced flag is quite rare, in my experience. It is more likely that one track contains "all" subtitles, the other contains only the signs and written material ("forced"), or languages that haven't been dubbed, such as if a French speaker is key to the plot, so there would be a subtitle no matter what the selected language.

What you have selected is the best way to make sure you get any forced subtitles "hidden" in the tracks, but you will normally end up with two tracks with no flagged "forced" subtitles.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
moravec

Post by moravec »

It would be great if MakeMKV also would name the subtitles accordingly. I have the same as in the picture (2 German Subtitles). Then in the mkv are three and two seems to be forced subtitles. But, now I have to name them manually with mkvmerge (header editor). It would be great if MakeMKV could name the "normal" to German and the "forced" to German Forced.

Also maybe a summary at the end would be nice, where I could see which subtitles were now actually empty and dropped.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV does name them according to what they were named in the source... Which sometimes can be wildly wrong. Many titles have incorrect language names on the subtitle tracks, and everything is simply handled in the menu structure.

Being able to assign the ORDER is actually more important for a lot of us. Many players assume the first track found is the default, no matter what it is named. Tools like mkvmerge let you do that manipulation after the fact.

In my case, I'm going to be running everything through Handbrake before it goes onto the media server, so I simply tell MakeMKV to extract everything, do not bother separating out "forced" tracks, then instruct Handbrake to put the audio and subtitle tracks in the correct order during the re-encoding of the title.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

moravec wrote:Then in the mkv are three and two seems to be forced subtitles.
Two German forced subs or one German and one English forced sub? In any case you should only flag the German forced.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
moravec

Post by moravec »

It is not a problem of order. I just don't know what MakeMKV dropped or not. And MakeMKV named all German, but not the Tagname and nothing of "forced". So the metadata name could be named "forced", which is emty.

Yes 3 German subtitles two forced, because the two translate the main movie title to German.